Windows 7 speed problems

Reckoner

Hey,

So basically my problme is this. I started using Windows 7 on Sunday and I just reinstalled Vista. In vista I downloaded a torrent just fine, but in Windows 7 I can't get more then 10kB/s download and barely any uploading.

All my settings are default in Vista, so I tried downloading the same torrent on Vista as I am in 7. With Vista (home basic) I was getting 350 kB/s downloads but again I can't get any higher then 10 on 7.

Does anybody else have the same problem?

• 2 weeks later...

I was having this same problem. I tried a bunch of things including setting the override automatic disk cache checkbox and putting 2000 in the box. this workes for a bit but then utorrent sucks up a ton of memory and virtual disk space and eventually quits working. I then tried to set the compatibility mode to vista and set it to run as administrator (after unchecking the override automatic disk check setting) and so far it has been running for an hour+ with no problems. before I would get the disk overload error after about 30 min or less. So hopefully this fixed it until someone comes up with a real fix.

Hey folks. Just wanted to add my 2 cents in hopes that it helps, from what i was able to do to fix the speed issue somewhat.

Utorrent does in fact work oddly on Win7. Even though i have the firewall turned off and all the other security goodies i still get a red skittle. Even though i tell utorrent to check the port and it comes back as good.

I suffered from speed issues you until today. I was downloading a file and was getting 1.2kb on it since yesterday. (my speed now on this particular torrent is between 60k and 80k and consistent) So what you need to do first is most important.

1. Close Utorrent down

2. go to window button (start menu) find utorrent and RIGHT CLICK on its shortcut. Click RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

3. Start your download, then look at the log and you will notice the error about the firewall exception is gone and your downloads will speed up.

4. fallow the guides laid out in Switeck's signature. Specifically this one 2nd:Recommended uTorrent settings: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=34259

After doing these things my speeds increased. Im still working on resolving the green skittle issue but as i have seen from my download experience on Win7 it seems to be a non issue as i have gotten download speeds that were normal to me on XP, which is of course determined alot by the torrent seeders and peers.

Remember too that Win7 is a beta and not every piece of software we use on a daily basis is going to work 100%

--EDIT--

Ok i just resolved the issue with the green skittle and my speeds have gotten back to normal. I fallowed a post by Ultima (a moderator on these forums). The infor in his post:

"- Hover over the network status light in µTorrent's status bar and tell us what the tooltip writes.

- Does changing ports stop this error from occurring?

- Grab TCPView from sysinternals.com, run it, and see ifthere are any other applications using your listening port."

I crabed the program he talked about and checked. Sure enough even though utorrent did the port check and said it was open and good to go i found another process using the torrent. I just simply choose another port, added the port to my firewall to pass and changed Utorrent for the new port. Closed down and restarted; problem fixed. -- U still have to run Utorrent in administrator mode --

Judging by the many other posts this is a common problem. I tried the things sugested here with little improvement. My XP machine with same torrents is 8x faster. The other issue with uTorrent and W7 is that it doesnt shutdown either. You cant even quit the process using task manager !

Someone at uTorrent must know why ?

i had the prob it sent me crazy!!!! i had kaspersky and thought it was that i did a fresh instal wen i installed kaspersly i didnt have the firewall turned on and just used windows firewall and at the mo it is working fine

not working for me!!!! i have tried everything!!!!!!!!

HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP

It's definitely a Windows 7 specific problem, but variable in the way it operates. I just started µTorrent, and it went to 150kps for about 2 minutes, then decided to go back to 10kps. Last night, though, it went for 6 hours at 150kps before deciding to revert to 10kps. Most commonly, it will stay at top speed for about 30-60 minutes before reverting to 10kps. I don't have kaspersky installed at all. So it seems as if something, somewhere is accumulating, and gradually reaches the stage where the reduction cuts in. There was never a problem with Vista, on exactly the same settings.

I'm not sure if it's related, but quite often, when I try to shut down µTorrent and then restart it, Windows 7 reports "it seems like µTorrent is already running, but not responding. Please close all µTorrent processes and try again." ON searching task manager, µTorrent does appear there, but the "end process" command has no effect on it, so it means a complete reboot :-(.

Incidentally, I note that some others are having the same problem at http://suprbay.org/showthread.php?s=c4762e9058fdf083d275346de129fffc&p=281740#post281740

Any help would be much appreciated - thanks!

OK, so ive been folowing these windows 7 problem posts hoping to find the answer to this problem, After trying just about everything mentioned, Finally one thing worked!

It was one of the following 2 things that affected the change:

Run uTorrent with administration priveliges and as working on an older operating system "windows XP"

MAKE SURE - pre-allocate all files is checked (under preferences>General)

For some strange reason my box was unchecked, Im 99% sure i didnt do that. So this could be the cure...

Restart utorrent.

As the problem resides with uTorrent accumulating Cached data and not writing it to the disc. Possibly it is being blocked by win 7 somehow. So either of these to changes could affect disc use/permission.

Let me know if these settings worked because im definetly a former sufferer of the 10kb/s max d/L after Cache write (disc overload) failure Issue. Now im getting constant full speed with cache constantly below 20mb. As it should be... everything else i tried did nothing but prolong the inevitable overload.

Hope it helps.

"If you quit uTorrent from within itself it still stays in task manager and you cant even force quit it. But if you go straight to task manager and force quit it does !"

That's typically the sign of other software (firewall or indexer?) not letting uTorrent close its connections and exit properly.

I've fixed it ! And its a little strange.

Found the answer on another thread..... Preferences/Advanced/Disk Cache/ Turn off "Enable caching of disk writes"

Doing this made the speed jump back up to normal 20x before.

Out of curiosity I re-enabled this setting....but no slow down as I would have expected !

Possibly disabling and re-enabling this setting has cleared some problem ?

• 10 months later...

So I did what illinja said, but there wasn't much of a change. But I did what reded23 (I didn't re-enable it thought) said, and I'm 90kb/s+. Thank you to everyone here, my computer has been having some trouble and I thought I'll have to have it checked again. Damn 7, wasn't it supposed to make less trouble for you as Vista?!

One more question... I tried uninstalling utorrent... and it 'uninstalled' in a second, no wizard, the same when I tried to download it again...

And I just realized that this is a year old thread XD

• 4 months later...

Archived