My uTorrent Download Speed

Matthew Searles

My uTorrent client is downloading my torrents at anywhere from 0-180KBps. It usually doesn't go below 100KBps., but won't go above 180KBps. My average speed is 150-160KBps. I've optimized my client's settings long ago, and I believe that 180KBps. is adequate, but I just wanna' make sure. I've got Charter High Speed for my ISP; It's cable Internet. Also, I'm downloading 3 torrents simultaneously, all equaling 19 GB left to download. What I'd like to know is whether or not my downloading speed for uTorrent is at a good setting.

Saying your connection is called "High Speed" and "cable Internet" is about as useful for determining real bandwidth numbers as saying a car is "blue" in terms of how fast it goes. Some ISPs throttle cable speeds down to worse than dial-up for BitTorrent traffic. :(

Run line speed tests. uTorrent's Speed Guide CTRL+G can do that...but you need to stop ALL torrents while you're doing the tests. Download AND upload speeds are both important, but for configuring uTorrent...upload speed is MORE important!

Are you also uploading that fast?

If not, where is the extra speed coming from? ...because IT HAS TO BALANCE SOMEHOW!

You may be capable of downloading faster, but if others are unable or unwilling to upload that fast to you...then of course you'll max out lower. They may be more willing to upload faster to you if you could somehow give more to them. :P

Archived