Low speed on XP

Mike2511

Hi

I have searched the forums but could not find any posts that sound like the problem I am having. I have 4 computers in my house, 3 have utorrent installed, 2 have Windows vista while the 3rd has XP. On my vista computers I can download pretty fast, last time I checked I was downloading at 140kbps which is average for me, however my XP computer does not seem to want to download faster then 25kbps. The speed will start at 5kbps then climb upto 20kbps and start to move up and down but not going over 25kbps. I have tried downloading the same torrent on my Vista computer and that downloads faster then my XP PC. Does anyone know what the problem could be? I have checked the settings which are the same for both computers, and also have the ports forwarding aswell I'm just kind of stuck with what the problem is. My broadband speed is upto 8mbps and I usually get 6mbps speeds.

I've checked that and it didn't help me. also you said my ISP severely cripples bit torrent traffic, if that is true how come I'm getting really fast speeds on my vista laptop? I'm getting over 100kbps on torrents that I get under 25kbps on my XP PC. I have recently started to download something on my PC and it was doing it at 24.7kbps, I also started it on my laptop at the same time on my vista laptop which had speeds of 100kbps at the same time that my XP PC was getting 24.7kbps.

Then what are the differences between each one's network settings, firewalls, router port forwarding?

...or any hostile-to-uTorrent software you have installed on 1 but not the other. :P

Some commercial software such as Zone Alarm, McAfee and Norton products, Roxio and Nero indexers can severely cripple, slow, disrupt, crash, and burn uTorrent. (..."and burn" crashes are where either parts or all of windows crashes as well!)

differences are the internet security, my vista laptop has Mcafee, while my XP PC has Trend Micro, everything else is the same software.

Edit:

I still haven't been able to fix this slow speed issue which is starting to really annoy me. I have gone through every tutorial on how to setup utorrent, gone through all my settings and set them as the tutorials say but no difference, I have even diactivated my firewall which didn't help. It is not my ISP as my other computers download much faster then this computer. The only difference between the slow download computer and all the other computers I have is that this computer is plugged into a switch which is then connected to my router via ethernet cable.

Edit:

It is 100% utorrent, after installing a different torrent client I am getting over 100kbps download speeds on the same computer I was getting less then 25kbps with utorrent.

Archived