How long should I seed a new torrent?

velocity92c

I read about the technology of bit torrent a little trying to get a grasp on it but I'd like a guru to clarify a few things for me. When I'm seeding, am I just sending out random chunks of the file? Am I sending out random chunks of the file so that when I get to seeding 100% of the filesize I will have sent out all chunks of the file individually? I'm just curious how far beyond seeding to 100% of the file I need to go. Depending on how the information is sent out, I could theoretically stop seeding completely after I sent out 100% of the time, but I'm just not clear on exactly how the info is sent out. I'm sure that while being the only person seeding a popular file that every piece that gets sent out is quickly shared with the rest of the swarm, just don't know exactly the chunks of data are being sent out.

When you've seeded to a ratio of 1, all it means is that you sent that much data. It could be the case that you only sent out half the pieces twice, depending on what other peers requested.

Basically, you should stop seeding when there's another seeder.

Archived