Anyone noticed this...

LazyD

On certain machines, I don't really know what the contributing factors are, uTorrent seems to only work properly when you have the window open and the focus on the window, as soon as you minimize the uTorrent window or take the focus to another program/window, speeds start going down drastically.

Anyone noticed that? I'm not imagining this, it's real, I'm almost certain it's nothing to do with port forwarding cuz I've seen the phenomenon on both forwarded and unforwarded setups.

On the machines where this is happening as soon as you switch to the uTorrent window speed go way up, I end up leaving the window open and focused all night.

No, you're not the only person who's noticed this (others have complained about the same), but I've never seen this happen. Chances are, it's a problem with system configuration or something, where the OS is giving priority to other applications over µTorrent when it's not focused.

Thanks for your reply. I would also go with thinking that it's something to do with the system although I have no idea how to fix it. I've tried processor scehduling on both settings, still no dice. The only setting in uTorrent that I can see that could possibly pertain to this is to prevent standby if there are active torrents, but this isn't helping either.

It's like utorrent sort of thinks the system is in standby though or something, perhaps some aspect of uTorrent isn't fully compatible with acpi drivers on certain mboards? That's all I can think of at this stage.

• 2 weeks later...

On battery:

Turn off monitor - 5 mins

Turn off HD - 10 mins

Standby - 25 mins

Plugged in:

Turn off monitor - 10 mins

Turn off HD - 15 mins

Standby - Never

I've also set the above 3 settings all to "never" for when plugged in, in an attempt to solve this problem, didn't make a difference.

I wonder if this problem has something to do with working set trimming.

When an application's top-level window is minimized through the Minimize command from its System menu or a click on its Minimize button, the operating system will trim the working set for the process. This is done to free up RAM for foreground applications. As a result of this trimming, a process may experience significantly poorer performance because its memory pages are being faulted back into RAM.

Testing to see if the problem happens with another BitTorrent client may be a good idea (to rule out power policy as a cause).

I'm not sure. The trimming I brought up is related to memory, not the processor.

On the off chance that I actually am onto something, it can be remedied. Firefox (and Thunderbird) offer an option to disable working set trimming, so it can be done. (The downside is that more memory is used.)

Archived