Jump to content

Seriously retarded issues


Recommended Posts

Ok, so my buddy can't seem to get his downloads to work properly, so I told him I'd take a look at it. And so it began.

The connection is a 5Mbps/640kbps Embarq DSL line (no throttles for BT traffic), brand new modem, and WRT54G v6 router (yes, I know that the router has been known to cause problems, but I have set everything to be BT compatible). The computer is an HP laptop with 32bit Vista Home Premium, AMD Turion X2, 2GB of RAM, 250GB hard drive, and an Atheros AGN link. TCP/IP is patched up and whatnot.

µTorrent's settings for speed are the standard 640K upload selection. Ports are completely forwarded, both incoming and outgoing (I gave it 10 ports to work with, thinking that it would pick one and hopefully work). Static IP address is NOT set up, however, port is forwarded for correct IP address(it's a laptop, remember? Portability).

I tried turning off DHT, LPD, changing max connections back to 8, UPNP, NAT-PMP, the LOL's, the ROFL's, and nothing fixes it for more than a few seconds. Peers and seeds no longer connect at startup, taking 20 minutes to connect to maybe 4 seeds/peers. Once connected, upload speed soars to maximum level, but download speed hovers around 25KB/s. Upon copying the exact same settings to a different computer, download speed on the same torrents soars. I can't seem to find out anything about this. I tried EVERYTHING.

If anyone can help in any way, please don't hesitate. Any information you have to offer, I'd be greatly appreciative. This is MIND BOGGLING.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"changing max connections back to 8"

You mean net.max_halfopen?

If so, that's not max connections. :P

Global and per-torrent max connections are not directly related to that.

1st and 2nd links in my signature...for troubleshooting and uTorrent speed settings.

We need more information!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, the half-open connections, not the global and per-torrent connections. That's what happens when you beg for help after a long day and then an even longer time of troubleshooting. ;)

I've tried everything on that troubleshooting guide that applied, and then things that didn't necessarily apply, just in case. ;)

I changed global and per-torrent connections to saddening levels, reconfigured the Windows Firewall, restarted everything (I'm sure my buddy thought I was gonna try and restart the whole house next, just in case), disabling peer resolving, DHT, LPD, UPnP, NAT-PMP, enabling and forcing encryption, completely deleted and reinstalled the program, reinstalled the AMD processor driver, threw it in Ludicrous speed, and NOTHING helped.

The status light is yellow, saying that there are no incoming connections, and the port checker reports that the port is not opened, however much forwarded the port really is (I'll post some screenies tonight when he gets off work).

Anti-virus is AVG (the free version, I'm cheap).

I think that's all the troubleshooting guide said to give. Let me know if there's anything else. I'm just about ready to either call in the priest (DEMONS I TELL YOU!!!) or break out the sledgehammer. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...