two torrents that have the same file i am downloading

silly001

sometimes the swarm from one torrent doesnt have all the pieces i need. i go to google and find a different torrent that shares the same file but does not have the same number of files and has a different file name

i take the incomplete file from one torrent, rename the file accordingly and place it into the folder belonging to the second torrent and force-recheck. it verifies the completed parts and i resume the download on the second torrent swarm

i propose a feature that allows cross referencing files between two or more torrents regardless of file name and/or swarm. the cross referencing can be auto matic or user initiated. it should only need a few parts to be verified along with a matching file size to allow the two files to be cross referenced. it should be able to identify when the pieces are overlapping due to different total number of pieces and download portions of a piece accordingly as to not waste bandwidth

In the scenario I shared, the only thing the two torrents had in common was the file itself. The hashes and piece sizes being different was irrelevant when it came down to Force Re-Check.

In the proposition I made, differences in the hash would be irrelevant. What matters is what the hash verifies as complete. The hash and piece size used for the verification of each file in question would be the one with the smallest piece size of the selected torrents. It would use completed pieces from each torrent to form a composite file. The hash and piece size from the torrent with the smallest piece size would also be used as the standard for the new composite file.

Once the composite file is made, the torrent client would then need to orchestrate the piece query of each torrent to fill the gaps in the composite file. Overlapping while filling the gaps is a given but when dealing with files with low sources.. I don't think anyone would mind.

Archived