Serious problems with selective file dl of a batchfile torrent

Isamu Daisen

Ok, before everything else, I have already forum searched about this problem. I even followed Firon's advice of skipping and unskipping all the files, changed the advanced settings appropriately based on advice on forum and even upgraded to the latest beta.

Here's the problem, I downloaded a batchfile torrent with 12 files all in all. So, i loaded it up and selected only to dl the last four files (file 9, 10, 11, and 12) of the torrent. It starts downloading with sufficients seeds and peers. After 100% completion, the usual problem (as searched in forum topics) arises. If you open the folder of the dl, you would only see one big utorrent partfile in the folder and no individual files of 9,10,11, and 12. I force recheck just to be sure and the client says 100% again. So, after this I follow Firon's advice of unskipping, skipping, then unskipping all the files then returning it to the right status of downloading only file 9 to 12. After this, I open the folder of the dl again and see 5 files in it. Namely, File 1,2,3 and 4 and a utorrent partfile with 0 kb. :( I force recheck again and the client says, file 9 to 12 is 100% complete. There must be a bug here somewhere. I tried opening the named files 1 to 4 but i only get incomplete avis with glitches and stuff. Sigh, any solutions i may have missed? or is it a real bug?

The only solution I canthink of is reload it again, start from scratch and selectively download 1 file each time so utorrent doesnt mix the bytes of one file to another.

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Isamu

Aside from this problem, Utorrent is the best.:)

This should only happen if you were using bt.compact_allocation (and it serves you right, the advanced options say DO NOT MODIFY for a reason :P).

If you weren't, did this happen on a torrent you started pre-1.4? Or is it newly started in 1.4? Also, did you run out of space at any time?

You -may- be able to get the data back, but not likely. You'll need 2x the size of the partfile for it to get moved out if you unskip all, skip all, then unskip all, but it probably won't work. You should also stop the torrent before doing this. If it still won't work, start over.

Fortunately, I didn't use bt.compact_allocation as you stated in previous forum complaints that it might be the culprit of their problems. :P

But yeah, the torrent was started using utorrent ver. 1.4 build 402 and not the beta ver 1.4.1 build 406. :( maybe that's the culprit.

I never run out of space and yes the torrent was stopped when i did the skip,unskip procedure. anyway, i deleted the all data and started from scratch coz i got frustrated with the problem. And this time, I'll dl one file at a time just to be extra safe.

Just want to point this problem out so that someone can look into it if there are any bugs that caused this. Thanks again.

Isamu

Hmm, now that's strange then. I've done a bit of selective downloading and I've yet to actually experience this (except when compact was on)...

How much free space do you have and how big are the files?

And um, if you don't mind too much, can you try doing EXACTLY what you did again to see if you can reproduce this? We'd really like to find out what the heck causes it, 'cause we've never been able to reproduce this when compact allocation was off.

the files were roughly 200 mb each so 2.4 gb for the entire batchfile torrent. My hard disk has 10 gb free prior to downloading this torrent. Well, I noticed a strange thing happening though. Utorrent downloaded parts of files that I specified not to download. Its not big though (less than 1mb). For example, if I specified to download File 5 to 8 only, in the Files section of Utorrent, you could see that it has downloaded pieces of File 4 and File 9 eventhough you programmed it not to. Is this normal?

Ok, since i deleted the data already. i'll try doing it again and see what happens. This time i'll be using the beta version from the very beginning. It'll take some time though as i'm sharing the internet connection with my bro's pc thru a hub who's unfortunately using azureus. lol.

Isamu

Archived