Benefits to Switching

Luceus

Hi guys ,

I wanted to ask a general question as to the benefits I might get switching from Vuse to uTorrent , first off let me say I'm not a BitTorrent tech head , i know the general concept how it works , I download stuff , then upload so i can get a decent share ratio and repeat :) .... I started using Vuse back in the days when it was just plain old Azureus , why i chose it at the time as my bittorrent client i cant say but here i am.

Anyway I havnt used the client in a long time and only recently started up again , but I've noticed that Vuse seems to be gettign a bit ... "bloated" ... for a better word ... and even with a 20mb line I'm findign downloads not all that impressive and my machine seems to run much slower. sooo I googled "best bittorent client" and 90% links pointed me here, so here i am :)

so I'm wondering will I see benefits switching to uTorrent or am i likely to not see a drastic difference and might aswell plug away with Vuse ?

Thanks in Advance

Edd

µTorrent is much lighter weight than Vuze with respect to resource usage. It has fewer esoteric features too (and no plugins for extensibility), but for a large majority of users, the missing features aren't that important -- µTorrent has most of the necessities down.

With respect to transfer speed, there usually isn't much difference between the two clients if they are configured correctly.

> µTorrent is much lighter weight than Vuze with respect to resource usage.

Some guy name eXPerience put out a portable vuze 4.1 is low-overhead (as far as java apps go) using the classic UI. For a time, I thought Vuze was better at encrypted transfers, but µTorrent is working fine for me.

Creating torrents and setting download location on Vuze is not very straight-forward. I tried, gave up, and came back to µTorrent.

Both Vuze and uTorrent use the same encryption for transfers.

Vuze can not announce the listening port to the tracker and set the Minimum time between tracker announces to 900.

uTorrent can disable ALL outgoing connection attempts, be it for trackers or peer/seeds.

Vuze uses a different DHT than uTorrent, but both are disabled on private torrents/trackers.

uTorrent has better diagnostic logs for connection problems.

@hermanm: As low as that custom Vuze build's resource usage may have been, a Java application will almost always be heavier than its native counterpart, barring large feature differences and coding inefficiencies. The ever-present JVM makes it hard for Java applications to use less memory. I doubt the build did anything special other than disable the Vuze UI, in which case it's just back to Azureus resource usage levels (which was always higher than µTorrent's anyway).

Archived