relink .torrent tracker with file

winchendonsprings

I have always wondered how to relink a .torrent tracker file with the original file or directory it downloaded.

Sometimes files get moved around between my school and home computers and the link between the two gets broken. There is probably a simple answer to this that I am just oblivious to, but I'm very interested.

If this doesn't make sense heres an example.

-I remove a tracker from utorrent. Then I later decide I want to continue seeding it so I reopen the .torrent file with utorrent, and utorrent doesnt find the file that was originally downloaded and utorrent starts to re-download the files instead of finding the original to seed.

No. Set Download location is only useful where the LOCATION has changed but not the filename. To change individual filenames in a torrent, you need to use the Files tab, Right click, Relocate option. Then path to the correct file, and say OK. Generally for ALL of these relocate actions you should expect a recheck, so I'd stop any running torrents or PAUSE them temporarily to keep it working as fast as possible.

Are you trying to relink a whole download folder, say you moved from 1 harddrive to another?

well, this happens often but, for example today - I started downloading some things today at school. then I have to leave before its finished downloading so I load the tracker from home from the same folder as the file it was downloading. and it doesnt pick up from where it left off. when I left school I was at 89% and when I start it up from home I was at 5% (but often it just starts again from 0).

edit- yes on two different computers

OK, when you start it again at home, try set download location, then RIGHT click, Force Recheck before starting it again. That will tell uT to verify data. If the problem is the location it will still stay @ 0%. If it's a data not writing to disk, it will be > 0, but under what you had before :/

ok back on topic.

I have just added a .torrent file that I had removed from utorrent previously. when I added it and set the download location to the finished folder that it originallly downloaded(with no name changes) there is an Error:Access is denied. Even after force re-check

edit- ok I just read the help topic on access denied errors. it appears for this file it is windows problem not utorr.

Archived