Westell Versalink 327 - TCP/UDP configuration affecting speed?

greybyrd

Greetings. I've been using utorrent for about 5 years, and I've recently run into a glitch that I can't figure out. Until about 3 months ago, my download speed for a decently seeded torrent was in the 120-180 range. Now it won't ever get above about 26 or 27. This happened after I upgraded from ver. 7.7 to the current stable version - 8.3 or whatever. I've configured and tweaked and checked the speedtests and everything else I know to do. One thing I've never understood on this router - when I configure utorrent as a service, it asks for ports for both TCP and UDP. I've always set the same port for both. I know there's only one port available behind my router, but do I need the UDP configured at all? Also, should I even check the UPnP setting or the NAT setting, or just let the thing run? I'm getting tired of something that I though I knew pretty well that's suddenly changed it's personality. Thanks in advance.

Port Forwarding UDP is needed now for incoming uTP connections...and possibly DHT and Teredo/IPv6 (though this has NAT hole-punching) as well.

I can't say I know if BellSouth ADSL ISP is up to any throttling of BitTorrent...but maybe GOOGLE (and forum) searches could find others with the same ISP and torrent problems.

Archived