Peer dropping problem.

Zapper_Weisman

I am having an issue with seeding. I am not constantly torrenting and I do it on a whim so I cannot be sure what's changed that would cause this, though I suspect a uTorrent bug. (i might very well be wrong!)

I download the torrents extremely fast (often up to my line speed limit) and then when I leave the torrent to seed to at least achieve a 1:1 ratio the problem begins. It is usually an active torrent with both many leeches and seeds. I have noticed that I will connect to a peer, upload for a fraction of a second and promptly the peer disconnects, reconnects and this will continue endlessly. I noticed that I was connected and uploading alright (but slower than i'd like) to three peers and when I checked they were using uTorrent 1.8.2 as I am. However all the others that continually connect and drop are several other clients. This is becoming a real problem. Up till now I have simply written it off as the typical ebb and flow of torrent traffic but the pattern has become too consistent to ignore any longer.

The speed guide settings are set as suggested and it reports my port is open and accepting connections. I used the TCP patch and gave myself 50 half-open connections. (this is under Windows XP SP3) I have added the exception to my Windows Firewall (using the option from within uTorrent to accomplish this). I have set the outgoing and incoming encryption settings to allow for the best connectivity. I don't know what I am missing. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks a lot!

I had already seen all that when I first looked up the problem and none of it seemed to be of much help. I did, however, run Glasnost and it reported no ISP interference. I downloaded OpenOffice and it downloaded super fast but my uploads are still really sad. I have a 768k upload (officially) and actually runs at 782k typically. But my uploads are really slow (seems to cap out at a max of 30kB, at best though often lower, out of a set max of 72kB) and peers connect and drop constantly.

I rechecked your sig links and I have already followed the guide lines there. As far as *I* can tell I am setup how I should be. *shurgs* No idea.

Glasnost can miss disruption methods that are far different than what ComCast used with RST packets. Not every ISP uses Sandvine for DPI and disruption/throttling.

The OpenOffice torrent is a terrible test for uploading because the peers on it are short-lived, quickly becoming seeds themselves as they are almost flooded by all the superfast seeds uploading to them.

A giant public torrent with low seed-to-peer ratio and quite a few peers would be more ideal to check upload speeds.

I use Verizon DSL and it's my understanding that Verizon doesn't engage in throttling. Since you say, however, that OpenOffice was a bad test I will go get a large Linux distro. and try that. But I am convinced there's something else at work here. Thanks for the replies.

I am using a relatively new Intel CT adapter that runs really smooth and stable on everything else. No packet loss on my connection and low latencies. Latest drivers for it. I game on this computer and the games never get any loss or lag spikes. I am very sure I have a clean fast connection. It's a DSL line and my CO is literally right down the street. However, I noticed not too long ago that my router is resetting from time to time. Maybe it's that. I will look into that next. Thanks for the suggestions.

Archived