New ISP = speed problem

pk7677

I switch my ISP from comcast to Charter after I moved into a new town and the speed on Utorrent has been horrible. My download speed is around 1~10kB/s and my upload is little bit lower. I no longer have a router so I no longer use a static ip, I get my internet directly from the modem. I tested my speed from dslreports.com and speedtest.net and my download is about 4587Kb/s and upload is about 500Kb/s, I have set my upload limit to 40Kb/s by following the speed guide on this site. My outgoing under Protocol Encryption is Enabled , and I have "Allow incoming legacy connections: checked too. I also exclude utorrent from windows firewall and from my Nod32, and peer.lazybitfield is set to true. Finally I ran the test from Glasnost and here is the result.

Is BitTorrent traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?

* The BitTorrent upload (seeding) worked. Our tool was successful in uploading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP upload achieved at least 1 Kbps while a BitTorrent upload achieved at most 2 Kbps. You can find details here.

* The BitTorrent download worked. Our tool was successful in downloading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved at least 15 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved at most 11 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is BitTorrent traffic on a non-standard BitTorrent port (10009) throttled?

* The BitTorrent upload (seeding) worked. Our tool was successful in uploading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP download achieved at least 1 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved at most 4 Kbps. You can find details here.

* There was a problem with the BitTorrent download. Our tool did not detect forged TCP RST packets, but nevertheless no data could be transfered.

Is TCP traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits all downloads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP download on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 37 Kbps while a TCP download on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 5 Kbps. You can find details here.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits all uploads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP upload on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 104 Kbps while a TCP upload on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 1 Kbps. You can find details here.

So does any one know what the problem is? Any helpful info is greatly appreciated.

Was your computer already heavily using the internet (possibly even by uTorrent) while the Glasnost tests were run?

...Because your results are simply horrible!

You need a software firewall (even Windows firewall) enabled if directly connected to the internet without a router. Comodo is recommended here, though personally I've never used it.

No I did not use Utorrent while doing the testing from Glasnost. But my windows fire wall was turn off when the cable guy was doing installation on my PC, I walk out the room and I thought he would turn it back on but apparently he didn't. Thanks to you I remembered this and turn it back on, I also did the test again sadly its the same result.

Errr I don't know how to use TCP View, is there any other way to figure out my problem? I tried to test out Utorrent by downloading open office, I let it run for half an hour and came back it was downloading at 30~40kb/s. Its a improvement but I want it to hit 200~300kbps at least.

Archived