Be VERY careful now, the ESA is tracking everything

Shr_eddie

I recently got a threat to sue from my current ISP (Rogers). Saying that I have downloaded copyrighted material through the medium of Bittorrent. However there are some interesting things in the message.

Dear Rogers Cable Communications Inc.:

The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) is a trade association that represents the intellectual property interests of numerous companies that publish interactive games for video game consoles, personal computers, handheld devices and the Internet in the United States of America, in Canada, and in other countries (collectively referred to as ESA members). ESA is authorized to act on behalf of ESA members whose copyright and other intellectual property rights it believes to be infringed as described herein.

ESA is providing this letter of notification to make Rogers Cable Communications Inc. aware of material on its network or system that infringes the exclusive copyright rights of and is unlawful towards one or more ESA members.

ESA members are entitled to the full protection of Canadian intellectual property laws, including the Copyright Act, R.S.C. 1985, c. C-42, as amended, in such entertainment software products.

Based on the information at its disposal on 1 Jun 2009 03:34:15 GMT, ESA has a good faith belief that 00.000.00.00* infringes the rights of one or more ESA members by offering for sale or download unauthorized copies of game products protected by copyright, or offering for sale or download material that is the subject of infringing activities. The copyrighted works that have been infringed include but are not limited to:

Title: Battlefield

Notice ID: 97228655

Infringement Source: BitTorrent

Infringement Timestamp: 1 Jun 2009 03:34:15 GMT

Infringement Last Documented: 1 Jun 2009 03:34:15 GMT

Infringer Username:

Infringing Filename: Battlefield 1942

Infringing Filesize: 2293029794

Infringer IP Address: 00.000.00.00*

Infringer DNS Name: .cpe.net.cable.rogers.com*

Infringer Port ID: 60401

The unauthorized copies of such game product(s) or the material that is the subject of infringing activities appears on or is made available through 00.000.00.00*. Those items are listed and/or identified thereon by their titles or variations thereof, game-related listings/references/descriptions, or depictions of game-related artwork. Such copies, titles, game-related listings/references/descriptions, depictions, and material that is the subject of infringing activities, are hereinafter referred to as "Infringing Material."

Accordingly, ESA hereby requests Rogers Cable Communications Inc. to immediately do the following:

1. Notify the account holder of the Infringing Material.

2. Remove, or disable access to, the Infringing Material detailed above.

3. Take appropriate action against the account holder under your Abuse Policy/Terms of Service Agreement, including termination of a repeat offender.

Please inform us whether you will remove or disable access to the Infringing Material as requested. Rogers Cable Communications Inc. or the account holder may contact ESA at the above-listed contact details, with email preferred. Please include the above-noted Reference Number in the subject line of all email correspondence.

Thank you for your cooperation and prompt response in this matter.

Sincerely,

Intellectual Property Enforcement

Entertainment Software Association

*Edited

For some information on the downloaded content. The download started and ended in the month of October or November of 08, however it stood in my Utorrent as I peered it because I'm nice like that...this makes me think otherwise now. So be careful when you're not sure whether something is copyrighted or not.

Also has anyone else gotten something similar to this? and what were the ramifications?

Archived