bt.ban_ratio setting

MaubyMan

In order to make uTorrent more aggressive in banning bad peers should I increase or decrease this value? I have searched these forums and read differing suggestions on this matter.

The manual defines this setting as: The lowest acceptable ratio of good to bad pieces a peer can send before it gets banned.

Here is how I interpret this with the following settings:

bt.ban_ratio = 128 (default)

bt.ban_threshold = 1 (my setting)

bt.ban_use_ban_ratio = true

If a peer sends 100 good pieces and 2 bad ones, the good to bad ratio for that peer is 100/2 = 50.

Since bt.ban_threshold is surpassed (2 bad pieces), and good/bad ratio is less than bt.ban_ratio (50<128), the peer would be banned.

So lowering bt.ban_ratio to 49 or less would make the peer safe.

Therefore it is my opinion that decreasing bt.ban_ratio makes uTorrent more tolerant and increasing it makes uTorrent more aggressive.

Am I correct?

That being said, µTorrent keeps track of which peer sent which chunks. When it successfully downloads a piece, it verifies which peer sent the bad chunks on that same piece and gives a high equivalent of hashfails. I don't remember the exact amount, but it basically makes ban ratio less useful than expected.

µTorrent keeps track of which peer sent which chunks

By 'chunks' do you mean what uTorrent calls 'blocks'? (the 16KB sections that make up a piece)

and gives a high equivalent of hashfails

Not sure what you mean there. Did you mean for example if a peer sends 2 bad chunks in one piece, then it is credited with 2 hashfails?

On another note, wouldn't it be more efficient to just re-download the bad chunks/blocks instead of the entire piece? For example, on a torrent with 4MB pieces (256 16KB blocks), if a peer sends 1 bad chunk/block, thus rendering the piece invalid, it is obviously easier to just re-download 16KB instead of 4MB. Is there something else you have to take into account?

There are no hashes in the torrent for the 16KB chunk, only for the full piece. That's why the entire piece has to be thrown away and re-downloaded.

And what I mean is that when it marks a peer for a verified hashfail (by comparing the calculated hashes of the blocks from the bad piece and the good piece), it counts as if it were more than 1 hashfail. I'm not sure of the exact number.

Archived