Download speed less than upload

Magicaltrev2

I don't know what connection you have, but I am positive your max download plus upload isn't 350 MB/sec! :P

So what's the max speed of your connection?

What settings are you using in uTorrent? (The 6 shown by Speed Guide CTRL+G and whatever advanced settings you've changed.)

I ran a speed test from one of the links from the manual and got 20 Mbps download and 4.75 Mbps upload.

My settings are 600 kB/s upload limit, 2400 kB/s download limit, 750 connections (per torrent), 9 max active torrents, 10 upload slots, 750 connections (global), and 8 max active downloads.

Wow, I just realized I put MB/s. It should read kB/s.

You may want to ask Verizon if you can get a speed improvement for your line for cheap...I think they changed their speed plans but won't tell old customers they can get a free speed bump unless they explicitly ask about it.

Try decreasing your settings to the 5 or even the 4 megabit/sec upload settings on my Speed Guide chart (2nd link of my signature). You may be pushing your upload speed a little too high, slightly overloading the line. If your networking can handle the strain, it's ok to leave max connections (global and per torrent) at 750...just consider that means you'll likely have LOTS of connected peers that would like to download from you that never will. :(

If you're only running 1 or 2 torrents, also try increasing upload slots from 10 to as high as 50. This means more peers will be downloading from you at once...so they have a direct incentive to upload back to you. BUT...since you're splitting your upload speed to more peers, the fastest peers may upload less back to you since someone else may be giving them more.

Archived