Torrent downloads faster than ISP Cap?

rhinohumper

This isn't a speed problem... just a speed question, I guess.

I have an approximate 650 kB/s cap on my internet connection, but recently I was downloading something and my DL speed was 1.8 MB/s. The only peculiar thing is that I had just started downloading the same torrent on my laptop about 5 minutes earlier, but decided I'd much rather have it on my desktop.

When I started the new DL, my speed screamed through the roof and I was stunned! I was utterly confused and after thinking about it, I couldn't come up with any logical reason for the torrent to be so fast.

Is there some sort of feature on uTorrent that allows an already-started torrent to share what it's downloaded with another torrent started on the same network? I have my ports forwarded and I'm running a very open network with all the computers in my house. I'm just wondering because it was kind of a neat thing to find out!

Well technically a thing you could do is have all of your computers download at the same time and if they each were to connect to each other via add peer and they each had different parts of the files downloaded already on a lan connection or any good connection in your network you could achieve amazing high speeds, but the fact that all of the computer are downloading at the same time using the connection and sharing bandwidth makes that very hard unless that torrent is normally a slow one and having all of the computers enables data gathering as a collective a much faster.

That was fun, thanks for getting me thinking on hive network systems I got to write this down, I bet you something like this is going to be big in the future. I hope this answers you question, which I kinda forgot. :P

It does, but I didn't manually do anything at all, it just automatically connected within my network and stole the rest of the pieces of the file that it needed then quickly slowed down to it's normal DL rate.

I would love if someone else could confirm this happening...

Hive computing is great, but when you start grabbing files off the internet, your connection still only allows the max bandwidth to be transferred between you and the modem. Hive computing is already extremely popular with lots of universities who are trying to study things that would take years for single computers to compile. Look at http://folding.stanford.edu/ and http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ .

They use your computer's extra resources when it's idling and sends data back to each one of these servers and whatnot. Pretty neat stuff.

Can you just imagine how effective torrents will be when we use laser data transference (see news report below) having the ability to download at speeds more than 1 gigabyte/sec information would be instantaneousness, traveling everywhere.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/18/technology/18chip.html?ex=1316232000&en=28a5a164c7e8df41&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Laser-pumped fiber optics are already commonplace worldwide for heavy data communications.

The cheap stuff that Verizon uses for FiOS is probably LED-pumped fiber though, but even that's "good enough" for short range communications at ~100 megabit/sec speeds.

Archived