at my wits end!! will someone walk thru with me?

nerdcorepunx

ok,first off,specs: embarq 660 dsl modem, wrt54g v.8 router,windows vista home premium, utorrent 1.8.2. i have forwarded ports correctly with static ip address outside of DHCP range. i even tried connecting straight to modem without router. i have utorrent exception in windows firewall, and in avast anti-virus. i have been trying for weeks to get this to work. i still get yellow icon"no incoming connections" and port forward test always fails. i know there are peers that are trying to leech the torrent(s) that i am trying to upload, but they do not connect. some torrents will upload at a slow speed for only a few minutes then stop, but most show peers connecting for 1 second then gone. i have no problem downloading at great speeds and the torrent that i am downloading has no problem uploading during the download. but as soon as it is finished it stops uploading.also during the download the icon will go from yellow to green to yellow etc... still the main issue is the fact that i cannot pass the port forward test even though all settings i can think of are correct.ultimately i just want people to be able to connect to me and upload from me. i hope i have provided enough info for someone to tell me what to do to remedy this situation.........please help.....

What settings are you trying (and failing!) in uTorrent? :(

Are you trying to use uTorrent through a proxy or VPN?

Is your modem also port forwarded or in bridge mode?

(probably not needed if that modem isn't listed in portforward.com ROUTERS section.)

thanx so much for responding! ok,i'm not sure which settings you mean in utorrent so i will list as much as i think you might be looking for: UPnP and NAT-PMP port mapping are off,port for incoming connections is 49856,windows firewall exception is checked, max upload and download are at unlimited(i've tried setting them at over and under the speeds of my service plan through Embarq with no results), global max # of connections 200, max peers per torrent 50, upload slots 20, DHT is off, local peer discovery is on, tracker scrape is on, peer exchange is off, limit local peer bandwith is off, protocol encryption is enabled, incoming legacy is checked, max active torrents 20, max download torrents 15, Ratio is <=1000% or seeding time is <= 0, also bit.lazy is true.

ok, those are all my utorrent settings and i have changed all of them at one time or another with no results. also i am not going thru a proxy. and like i said before i believe i port forwarded properly, turned off windows firewall and avast and connected directly to modem with no results.

any advice will be really appreciated.thanx!

Is your modem also port forwarded or in bridge mode?

(probably not needed if that modem isn't listed in portforward.com ROUTERS section.)

Even if you run only 1 torrent at a time, your upload slots per torrent is set too high.

With allowing up to 20 torrents running at once, it's insanely bad!

You probably only have about 30-70 KB/sec usable upload speed in uTorrent.

Determine the max amount, then set uTorrent lower than that to reduce/prevent overloads.

(2nd link in my signature for settings based on max upload.)

Best to leave peer exchange enabled. It reuses peer/seed connections instead of making MORE connections like DHT and LPD does.

Have you disabled Resolve IPs?

again, thank you for your guidance. ok, so i reduced upload speed to 65kb and changed to 8 slots.i also enabled peer exchange and i still have the yellow triangle and get an error when i test the port. also resolve IP is checked on every torrent.

so through all this it still looks like i can download pretty well, but it seems to not see the port as open for uploading.........right now i'm downloading at 572.5kB/s but am only uploading 10.7kB/s.the icon is green but port test still has error. then after DL it will go back to yellow triangle......i dunno......

if you have any further advise, i'd love to hear it.

thanx again!

Uninstall avast anti-virus, I think it's causing uTorrent to still be firewalled.

"so i reduced upload speed to 65kb and changed to 8 slots"

8 TOTAL upload slots across all your torrents or 8 upload slots for EACH torrent?

Each upload slot needs at least 3 KB/sec upload speed.

tried turning off windows firewall, and the average speed per torrent upload is around 8kB/s. is there any way to kind of follow the signal to see where it stops? i just don't understand why the whole "port does not appear to be open" thing continues. it s forwarded correctly and no firewall/anti-virus makes a difference. even connecting directly to the modem does not help....

65 KB/sec upload speed and 8 torrents at once would be:

"average speed per torrent upload is around 8kB/s."

Or do you only have 1 torrent active?

If you get a green light in uTorrent but get the "port does not appear to be open" message when checking the port, that's due to a firewall blocking 1 (web browser) but not the other (uTorrent).

i have many torrents active, but usually only 2 or 3 connect and their average is about 8 kB/s. that usually lasts for about 10 minutes then disconnect. all the other torrents will connect for less than 1 second at 0.01kB/s then disconnect. those are the majority. and they are popular torrents. at least a few hundred peers each. but only 1 will connect for a split second then disconnect. i see on the tracker many people downloading it but rarely i can get more than 1 or 2 peers to connect to me.

"If you get a green light in uTorrent but get the "port does not appear to be open" message when checking the port, that's due to a firewall blocking 1 (web browser) but not the other (uTorrent)."

then how do other people get "port is open"(or whatever it says) when they get it right. they have to be running a browser and utorrent.

i hope you still have patience with me. i just don't understand.maybe this will help: i just bought this computer. for the first week utorrent ran fine and was uploading 100kB/s sometimes more most of the time 24/7. i thought maybe i could increase it more by checking to see if port was forwarded. so opened the router home page but forgot how to do it. so i never touched any of the settings. at this point is where all my torrents stopped connecting on a regular basis and dropped to what it is now......so, that is my story. i'm thinking about just formatting back to the beginning and start over.unless you have any more ideas? thanx again.....

• 3 months later...

Archived