Stumped...

XombieJer

Hello,

Well I recently noticed that my torrent speed has greatly decreased. I've done the ISP throttle test and my ISP is NOT messing with my speeds and with the test I was achieving around 1mB download speed and about 700 upload speed.. well I'm getting no where near that in uTorrent. I'm getting approximately 50kbps download on a torrent I have going atm which has about 10,000 seeds right now and I'm also achieving 75kbps on upload.

I've messed with settings and I've had my ports forwarded properly before and I was still achieving the same speeds. I just got done forwarding the ports using a program called Simple Port Forwarding. It said the operation was successful but I don't see uTorrent anywhere in my service list and it also says now that my ports aren't forwarded properly.

I was using the.. UPbP thing earlier but I didn't see any effective improvement and I also enabled this in my Router.. so I just have no idea what's going on... I can achieve higher speeds on different torrents and I've gotten around 500 - 750 kbps constant on a few of them but a friend of mine recently told me that he has 10meg internet just like I have and he was achieviving a constant 1.1mbps.

Can anybody help me? I'm getting sick and tired of messing with settings to be honest with you. Is there a program that does all of this on its own.. and please don't give me the link to PFConfig or Simple Port Forwarding because like I said above they apparently don't work.

I'm on a Westell Model 327w Router.. and I just don't know. It's just very frustrating to me. If anybody could possibly walk me through the set up or something that would be great. I may seem like a noob but I've been using torrents for about a year now and the reason I've made this thread is for a speed increase because 1.1mbps would be amazing to me.

Oh, also. When I'm testing my speeds.. THERE IS NO FIREWALL. I disabled my router firewall and my windows firewall and also my anti virus firewall. So there is no firewall restricting anything.

Thanks,

XombieJer

By disabling the anti virus firewall, you mean by completely uninstalling it?

(Because many of those are very bad about blocking even while disabled.)

Your ADSL line is probably getting too close to upload max, causing download to take a complete nosedive. Try 2nd link in my signature... and use either the 640, 700, or 768 kilobit/sec upload settings.

Is your modem also port forwarded or in bridge mode?

(probably not needed if that modem isn't listed in portforward.com ROUTERS section.)

Ok, I tried all 3 of those settings and so far I've been getting about 200 constant download on both of those and of course my upload always hits just under what I set it's limit to.

And I don't have a modem. I've always believed that this ISP is a little weird but I have a router and I'm not all that familiar with Internet Equipment terms but I think that my router is acting as my modem.

How my internet works is.. just to make everything clear on the subject.. but I have a DSL filter set into my phone line. I don't have an active "telephone" line I'm simply using it for internet. They set me up with a dead phone number and that's what I'm using. And from that DSL filter runs a phone cable that runs to my router. Then from the router I have a ethernet cable that's running to my computer.

And sorry about this being so far down the post but I have not uninstalled my AntiVirus completely. I simply disabled it for the time that I am downloading. I'm kind of confused at this point cause I think I have a real predicament here because now I can't seem to even achieve my 700 something max.

And for some reason now my ports aren't forwarded properly. Ugh I will have to mess around to make sure that's all set up right tomorrow but just to let you know that I'm not wasting your time.. I had my ports forwarded properly earlier and I was getting about the same constant speed I am achieving now.

Not quite sure what's going on... but I will get on and follow any other advice you have tomorrow with a fresh download of uTorrent maybe that will clear things up. I could also reset my router back to company settings just so that I know there's no messed up settings in there affecting my d/l speed.

Do I have to do something special for Torrents? I took that one test to see if they are doing something to throttle the speeds of my torrents. I believe I said something about that above but I could be mistaken.. and my speeds on these were around 800 - 1.09 constant and my upload was around 400.. which I find absolutely amazing if I was getting these types of speeds through a torrent program I would be one happy guy.

Were you to try to host an online game where people have to connect to your ip to join, you'd be having the same problems as you are with uTorrent.

I am pretty sure those test results were in kilobits/second, as even the top-of-the-line ADSL2+ cannot do 400 KiloBYTES/sec upload.

This is from Glasnost.. There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved at least 2202 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved at most 2195 Kbps.

There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP upload achieved at least 717 Kbps while a BitTorrent upload achieved at most 718 Kbps.

So I guess that all makes sense since uTorrent is using kiloBYTES. Wow I guess laying it all out puts the speeds at the correct rate... I'm guess I'm wondering now how in the hell I achieved 750 constant at one time...

And sorry about if there was any misinterpretation between the BYTES and BITS factor. I was thinking that a BIT was actually a NIBBLE... Wow I feel computer illiterate right now.. kind of sad after taking 3 years worth of computer repair and maintenance classes isn't it? Lol.

I guess I'm going to give my ISP a call tomorrow cause I'm paying for 10mbps download speed which is about 1.2mBps.. and I can achieve that through downloading a file from a server such as a software download.. shouldn't I be able to achieve that through torrent?

Your torrent download speeds often come from people on rotten ISPs, with terrible settings, running too many torrents at once. :P

If you're getting more download speed than upload, you're already "winning" at someone else's expense. Your upload should be maxed out though, given enough connected peers to upload to. I only need about 6-10 peers to max out my ~120 KiloBYTES/second upload max.

So you're saying that I'm basically stuck with the speed I'm at unless I can upgrade my internet? I mean there's nothing wrong with the 200 - 400 kBps I can achieve on torrents but I just wish it was constant. And I was also wondering.. is there a way I can reset my peers? Like if I'm receiving a bad speed can't I just change my peers and then it's possible for me to change my speed? Cause I see what you're saying.. like right now I'm trying to download a nice sized file of 3.2GB and I'm currently only getting like 5kBps and that's just ridiculously low.

Oh, I just checked my Network error.. earlier I was receiving an error OK message and now I'm receiving a listen port error. What does that mean? That I should randomize the port and then re forward it? For some reason the port that was forwarded earlier is now not forwarded even though in my router menu it says that it is.. Wth?

Wow sorry to be all over the place seeing as this is like my 3rd edit but I just closed out of torrent and then I reopened it.. before I closed I used the port checker and it said that it wasn't open and after I reopened I did the port checked again and it says that it is open.

NOTE* I did not close or open any programs other than uTorrent.

Ya now I'm getting better speeds but not what I'm used to seeing.. getting about 120 constant with 20 peers

Your networking seems to be "falling over" (partially overloading/crashing) from running uTorrent...but strangely partially/fully recovers from closing/reopening uTorrent.

1st link in my signature...may help a lot.

On torrents with LOTS of seeds, you should be able to get at least 80% of your max download speed.

Archived