Im confused about the upload speed part of Utorrent.

RustyNuts

How come i can sometimes download stuff at just over 1mb/s, but i cant upload faster than 10kb/s. I have a 10 meg cable broadband connection, the computer thats using Utorrent is connected direct to the modem and all ports are showing as OK.

For instance today i downloads something that was 701mb in size, it took less that 25 minutes to fully download, yet its saying the ETA for full upload is 4 days running at 3kb/s. That cant be right cant it..

Surely i must be able to seed faster...

Any help would be great...

Firstly, you don't really have a 2-way 10 megabit/sec connection. Download may be sustainable...for awhile at least...at 10 megabit/sec but upload is FAR lower!

Worse, you're sharing a 38 megabit/sec download channel of your ISP's with possibly 100+ other cablemodems. Doesn't take many downloading at max to overload it!

So the cable company probably throttles it heavily. As a matter of fact, I'm almost certain of it:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=53050

Oh i fully understand that my 10 meg connection is only the one way, i know that my up load speed according to speedtest is 500kb/s. So surely i should be able to upload faster than 10kb/s.

Anyways thanks for the reply and thanks for the link ill have a read now. :)

A torrent with very many seeds and few peers won't need you to upload much if any. The few peers get download overloaded by all the seeds uploading to them! So your upload speed ends up very low. This happens often on bigger private trackers and plays havoc with people's ratios.

Do note that SpeedTest is probably showing 500 kilobits/sec upload bandwidth, which may only be about 50 KiloBYTES/second usable upload speed in uTorrent.

Archived