Lots of bandwidth, but computers not using BT are very slow

northlondon01

Hi all,

I've looked through the other threads and googled plenty, but hopefully you guys can help point me in the right direction!

I have a 20mbs/768kbs Virgin Media, routed through a Netgear WPN824v2 router. We have various devices attached to the router (typically my XP PC, XP netbook, xbox360, wii, iphone and various laptops, but recently two of my new house mates have been using BT on their macs.

They limited the upload/download speeds to pretty low speeds (can't recall exactly but about 200KBs down and 30KBs up), but as soon as one of them starts downloading something, it cripples the speed for everything else. When I do a speedtest with one of them running BT, I get typical results of 13Mb/s downstream and about 300kbs upstream but the reality is my my PC slows right down (webpages take a long time to download) and playing online on my 360 is so slow and laggy (I get one red bar of ping, instead of full when BT isn't running).

I don't use BT on my PC, I occasionally use emule, capped at about 300KBs down and 25KBs up, and it never has any negative impact on other devices.

Now I know Virgin don't really like people using up large amounts of bandwidth with BT etc, but the speeds it shows don't make sense to me. I'm not an expert, but is it the supposed 'strain' on the upload speeds effecting the download speed? My friend told me that if you use half the upload speed, you only then get half the download speed in reality. I'm pretty good with PCs, and this didn't seem right to me!!

After reading some ungrateful comments from other posters with queries, I'd like to say how grateful I am for people who spend their time helping others, even if my issues can't be resolved.

Numbers of connections at once, PLUS how fast new outgoing connections are attempted is another networking "strain". The router could be choking on all the connections it's supposed to track...it may only have 4-8 MB ram!

Downloading at 2 MegaBYTES/second would take at least 40 KiloBYTES/second of upload bandwidth due to TCP/IP overheads. If you're uploading at 30 KiloBYTES/second as well...that's 70+ KiloBYTES/second of upload bandwidth. Which means the line's upload is probably very close to absolute max. Worse, uTorrent/BitTorrent has protocol overheads of its own...which only get worse if you have lots of connections at once. Each outgoing connection attempt uses predominately upload bandwidth...which you have little of.

1st and 2nd links in my signature are to combat both problems...(too many connections OR too high speeds causing router+line overloads.)

Thanks alot switeck, I'll check those links out and get my housemates to check their connections and upload speeds (I know the wpn824 isn't very good for lots of connections, and I've had various problems with filesharing with it - but I rarely do it so replacement seems a little pointless).

One has also been using Spotify at the same time, which I understand also has hogs up my bandwidth as it kind of fileshares by stealth!

Disabling UPnP, NET-PMP, DHT, Local Peer Discovery, and Resolve IPs can reduce connection load of running uTorrent.

As can reducing global and per-torrent connection max AND bt.connect_speed (from 20 to 1-4) AND net.max_halfopen (from 8 to 1-4).

Beyond 30 connections per torrent, speed gains are often marginal...since you can't effectively upload to them all anyway.

Archived