Pause Button, am I misunderstanding it?

Godfoster

Okay, basically, my understanding of the Pause Button was that if you paused a torrent, it would finish sending and receiving the pieces that it had already requested, and stop requesting new pieces. I was watching a torrent I had paused the other day, and instead of working like I have described, it continued requesting new pieces for download! So, which is the correct operation of a "Paused" torrent?

Why does pause mode keep downloading or uploading?

It takes a short while for the download and upload to reach 0 (possibly several minutes), since µTorrent must send/receive all the queued pieces first. It does not drop the connections, so small bandwidth spikes may still be seen several minutes after because of BitTorrent protocol overhead.

I have read the FAQ entirely, and I thought I understood what it said. To me, it says that it is finishing the sending and receiving of requested pieces (requested by you and requested from you). However, I kept a torrent paused for over 20 minutes and it was still requesting and downloading new pieces, just at an incredibly reduced rate.

Yeah, eventually I just hit STOP, I just thought that if it finished handling all ingoing and outgoing requests, than nothing would be lost or interrupted when I hit STOP. *shrugs* It's nothing serious or anything, just that it didn't work the way I thought it would. I'm not sure which way users prefer it work, so all I can really say is that I would've preferred that it work the way I had outlined above. Just my two cents.

Well if it keeps the connection idle for too long, peers drop it, which defeats the purpose of pausing it! I think this is an intended function - a "keep-alive" function that works by maybe requesting a piece from a peer shortly before it anticipates a timeout.

After all... Pause isn't exactly part of the BT protocol ;)

Archived