uTorrent connection issues

ShinyThingsGood

So I've been having connection issues since I installed uTorrent. I just bought a new Toshiba Satellite laptop, running Vista Home Basic. It is now connected to my home network via a Linksys router, BEFSR41 ver 4.2. Also connected to this router are my desktop computer, a few years older and running windows XP pro (as well as my XBox 360, but I'm fairly sure that doesn't make a bit of difference.) I am using a Scientific Atlanta cable modem, and my ISP is Blue Ridge Communications, a local cable company. I have set up a static IP address for both of the computers, and logged into my router and enabled port forwarding for the port uTorrent is set to use, and have no problems downloading torrent files, and at pretty good speeds. The problem I am having is that while uTorrent seems to be continually downloading, when I have uTorrent running, with the static IP assigned on my laptop and port forwarding enabled, my connection on both computers constantly flickers on and off, more so on the desktop than the laptop, but definitely on both. When I run the diagnostic tool it tells me that my computer cannot communicate with the Primary DNS server. Unless of course, it says there are no problems. Like I said, the connection isn't constantly off, it just randomly flickers off and back on. I'll post a list of some of my settings in the hopes that it will help.

network status light in utorrent: Green

port checker: port is open and accepting connections

connection type: xx/384k, based on several speed tests, with average taken. Upload limit set to 35k.

net.max_halfopen: 4 (have never modified, nor have i modified TCPIP.sys)

security software: AVG free. uTorrent.exe set as a PUP exception.

If you need any other info from me, let me know, I'll be glad to provide it. I know I rambled a bit, but I'm near to pulling my hair out. I can only download at night, and in the morning I have to disable the static IP on my laptop and my port forwarding if I want to be able to browse without constantly being kicked off. Oh, I nearly forgot. I'm sure the network problem is on my laptop, because when I shut it down, the desktop's connection seems to have no issues. Thanks in advance.

Your problem is likely poor networking hardware and software...the router in particular WILL have problems if it's got more than 100 connections at once!

Disable UPnP, NAT-PMP, DHT (both kinds!), Local Peer Discovery, and Resolve IPs (right-click in PEERS window of a torrent).

Lower bt.connect_speed from the default of 20 outgoing connection attempts per second to 1-4.

You may want to totally disable uTP connections and/or Teredo/IPv6 connections as well...

Lower per-torrent max connections to only 40 and global max connections to only 80...and even this may be slightly too much. :(

Archived