Seed, Seed, Seed.

tyler79durdan

If you get your torrent files, you should seed them for as long as it took you to get them, if not longer. If more people would just utilize the bandwidth at hand, we could all benefit from it. Ive been on one torrent for 4 days and have always allowed my upload at max. The more people with 100% and seeding the faster we all can in turn seed the same torrent. I'm so mad about how long this is taking, I'm going to seed this for weeks after completion. I have 16Mbs dn and 1Mbs up.

For your line, you'd potentially have to seed for 16 times longer than you downloaded just to reach 1:1 ratio...if you downloaded at max speed.

There is also a problem...too many torrents running at once is worse in some ways than not seeding at all. Your upload speed PER torrent can end up being <0.5 KB/sec...which helps even less than it sounds.

I recommend seeding anything that's not complete trash at least for awhile, but if it's a choice between seeding 10+ torrents on a slow upload (30 KB/sec or lower) line...or stopping some and only seeding maybe 3, I recommend seeding 3. But the 3 being seeded can be rotated from time to time!

Lastly, if there's lots of other seeds on the torrent OR enough peers that even without visible seeds the torrent still has availability above 4, then it's probably ok to stop that torrent for now. Check back in a week to a month to see if it needs help.

Archived