Changin 0.0Mb to 0.00Mb or 0.000Mb (digits after decimal)

paddy_kaustubh

• 1 year later...

It seems that since paddy_kaustubh posted this, the decimal places has become more dynamic. I currently have (for example) torrents showing 1.34 GB (two decimal places) and 15.6 MB (one decimal place).

I'd really love to get a feature to change the decimal display of torrents (also in the files tab). There are many good reasons why someone would want to be able to have more control over this.Maybe it could get added in the advanced settings tab? I'd personally love different settings, like 3 places for GBs, 2 for MBs and KB doesn't matter to me. But I'd love to see that control added for those of us that want it to our liking.

I have two questions:

1. Would this be difficult to implement (If only a few lines of code, why not)?
  2. What are the chance of this happening?

Take note

I'm not a programmer, so I'm sincerly wondering about nr. 1.

Query: should I add this as a feature request as well?

It's just a question of maths. 3 numbers are enough to describe the quantity (downloaded or uploaded).

Take the 1st example with 1.34 GB.

0.34 represents 34% of 1GB, it's significant.

If the value is 1.8 GB, the value is 80%.

So it's logical to display 2 decimals after the point in this case.

Take the 2nd example with 15.6 MB.

0.6 MB represents only 4% of 15 MB.Clearly less significant.

And less decimals after the point are necessary.

It's just a question of maths. 3 numbers are enough to describe the quantity (downloaded or uploaded)...

...So it's logical to display 2 decimals after the point in this case.

I truly do understand where you are coming from, but that's simply your preference is in this matter.

I am in South-Africa - google it for the insane amount of problems and high rates we have here. I am on a limited, low speed internet plan and would like the decimals displayed as I mentioned. Also because if I get to a point where I need to know exactly what I have left for the month, I'd like more control how I get to see what's for what. That's my preference, and the fact that this thread has been opened by someone other that myself indicates that I'm not the only one.

If I have only large downloads, and I can only derive the percentages, that causes (note: not may - it does) a problematic situation for me. Because if I only have say 1 MB left and it says 1.34 GB (out of 1.349), I still don't see that I will be over my limit before the download finishes. This happened to me last month, and I got cut off due to being over the cap limit two days before the end of the month. Yes, I could get a topup in my case, but it would be so much better to just, simply, be in better control of this information before the fan gets hit.

Also, interestingly, my downloads comes in numerable sizes, not percentages :P

I'd still like to get an indication of the following:

1. Would this be difficult to implement (If only a few lines of code, why not)?
  2. What are the chance of this happening?

There is the transfer cap feature for that, just use it. ;)

Honestly I don't think you will add all the uploaded/downloaded amounts of your torrent jobs (especially if you have 50 or 100 torrents) to check if you have overtaken your connection quota for this month.

Honestly I don't think you will add all the uploaded/downloaded amounts of your torrent jobs...
I am on a limited' date=' low speed internet plan...[/quote']

That just it. I don't download more than 3 torrents at a time, and only have 2 active (unless they drop below a certain rate, in which case max 3). That's how I configured my utorrent, with trial, error (repeated umpteen times), but that's another topic which I have closed for the time being. Point being, I don't run 100 or even close to 50 torrents, though I do keep seeding them. SO yes, I do actually monitor them and even pause all but one important torrent if close to the cap.

There is the transfer cap feature for that, just use it.

I'm in a household with a shared internet connection, so this feature is not what I want to use now. In the future, definitely, but that will be after we get a better internet plan. This is why I'd much rather monitor the usage myself.

You can understand from my current setup that I am not a power downloader as such. Does that mean we in similar situations are penalised because we don't have so many torrents active? I know this is stretching the subject, but I'm saying this because it does sometimes feel like the forum posts by the "small fries" in the utorrent community are ignored on a level. I'm on no level making any form of accusation and I know the developers are actively updating the client for the better.

Thanks for the replies, but this discussion is not getting me closer to the two simple answers I seek. I am really very happy with utorrent, but this is just something that if by some miracle does get implemented, I will not maybe use it.

Archived