[Question] Exactly what does "Peer Dl" display?

Kazuaki Shimazaki

I've searched the FAQ but if it is there I must have consistently skipped over it. I've been wondering about exactly what this displays for a long time. Is it a readout of how much said IP is uploading or downloading? Or what? And is it an accurate readout or is it just some kind of guess?

For example, if somebody shows a Peer Dl of 200KB/s and it is DLing to me at all of 1KB/s, am I being screwed?

Thank you.

Correct, it estimates the peer's total DL speed based on the rate of reception of have messages. It's not all that accurate.

Oh, and people, just because a peer appears to be leeching from you, doesn't mean they are. Get over it, and stop micromanaging torrents. If you want to make sure there are as few leechers as possible, join a private site..

OK, and don't worry, I've got way too much to do other than micromanaging torrents. Besides, someone has to lose for someone to win, and I do remember that I win some of the time too - just that if this is an accurate measurement I'd like to occasionally see who's winning, and if it is not accurate I can go turn it off and get it outta my sight.

Archived