All trackers "offline (timed out)" or "connection closed by peer"

Kamatori

Hi there.

I'm quite new to this. I've been using uTorrent for a few months now, but never had any problems... until now.

First, I looked for similar problems. I saw the recent JolietJake post, but the circumstances seem to be different. This has not been an ongoing problem.

So here we are. Any help would be much appreciated.

1. Problem:

I started uTorrent (version 1.8.3) and shortly thereafter, I started getting red arrows everywhere. No uploading or downloading happening. I have 12 torrents open, some seeding, some downloading.

All trackers are shown as either:

"offline (timed out" (pirate bay, demonoid)

or

"connection closed by peer" (thebox.bz - private tracker)

I seriously doubt there are problems with ALL of those trackers.

2. What has changed...

I just moved and switched ISP.

Yesterday, there was also another Windows update. I'm running Windows XP SP3.

I suspect the problem lies in one of the above... but how to find it.

3. What has not changed...

Everything else. I made zero changes to my PC.

I just booted it up after the move. Everything seemed fine. All apps accessing the Internet are running like a charm. We're using a fibre optic connection.

The main problem is that I'm not sure in what direction I should look to troubleshoot, tweak or change the system to fix this problem and get these torrents working the way they used to.

I'm hoping it's a simple solution.

Any help would be appreciated. Remember... new user.

Cheers!

K.

Yea, I've seen it too. I traced it to the trackers changing ports, and such. And some (like Pirate Bay trackers) have simply gone away. I just found a few public trackers to supplement for the ill-acting ones and life went on. I'll go you one better. I use multiple trackers a lot of time, on the same torrent that I created. I can use the same identical trackers on two different torrents, and at least one will time out on one torrent, and not on the other. Go figure. That's why I use multiples. Seldom do they all act up at the same time, and the public trackers seem to never fail. Here's one that a lot of folks use. http://tracker.publicbt.com:80/announce

Good Luck.

Archived