'DEL' key pressed to delete a torrent -> Usability

HillJack

When I press the delete key to delete a torrent, the dialog that appears should be the one that prevents accidents, not it AND having to move the default selection from Cancel to Ok; I hit delete, and I can acknowledge the confirmation dialog by Enter, not left-arrow then Enter...

Heh, oook. Load up your favorite software and try to delete something - Windows Explorer will popup a dialog with Yes as the default. Total Commander will popup a dialog (if I set it to do so) with Yes as the default. Azureus pops up a dialog with Yes as the default. Then along comes uTorrent that pops up a dialog with Cancel as the default... argh!

My point is that users get used to norms. Then along comes some software trying to change them. Precautions or not, a simple case of poor usability has the user jumping through extra hoops just to do something that should be dead simple. A first-year software usability course would tell you this is how it's done.

I have actually *accidently* deleted a torrent trying to cancel the deletion. Normally, it defaults to "Okay", so, if I didn't mean to delete something, I hit "left arrow (to cancel)->Enter." With µTorrent, I end up deleting the torrent. I've only done it twice, but I've cancelled the deletion a few times when I meant to accept it.

In conclusion: I agree, it should default to "Okay." (Although now I'm used to...)

It's still easy to inadvertently press Enter or Space... One extra precaution, not that big of a deal. And you'd only have to do it once anyhow since you can delete multiple torrents at once too...

No, its against common sense..

Enter to confirm

Escape to Cancel

To bad its not possible, and the popup is a precaution enough

Archived