Speed...

chiefbandit

Hello,

My utorrent is really inconsistant. I'm usually always around 10-40 kBps which isn't that fast and I get short bursts of speeds of over 150 kBps but after a few seconds, it goes back down to about 10-40. My network is Ok as I have the green checkmark. For normal non torrent downloads i can get up to 900kBps and on speed tests, my download speed was over 5mbps. I was wondering if there is a problem on my utorrent/network/torrent.

Also Im connected to 11 out of 505 seeds, is this normal?

Yes I am using rogers as my ISP. But I don't quite get why I can get sometimes fast speeds 200kBps+ but still averages mostly at around 30-40 kBps. Also (I'm not a computer guy), why is it that I can download regular things really fast (700-900kBps) but for torrents, my ISP limits my traffic?

Also, you say utorrent bases settings on max upload speed. My tested upload speed is 400 kBps. How does this factor in my downloading speed?

Rogers is FAR less likely to throttle BitTorrent traffic if it's from Rogers-to-Rogers.

It is extremely unlikely that you have 400 KiloBYTES/second upload speed...do you mean 400 kilobits/second?

Trying to upload too fast can cause download speeds to take a massive nosedive and then hover at very low levels.

Rogers has been one of the most hostile-to-BitTorrent ISPs for a very long time.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been with rogers for a number of years now, and over the last 2 have have very odd bandwidth issues. my downloads are fine, just fine, my issue is with the upload. when trying to upload i basically never get connected to, or at most only when i'm downloading a torrent do i upload any data at speeds up to 20kbps. the problem is that i upload at a fraction of the speed which i download and so all my ratios are horrible to the point where i'm going to be kicked out of my communities!

is there any recourse for me as a rogers client today, on November 16, 2009?

Archived