download speed

Sar

speedtest from several site including my ISP provider site shows the download speed 380kbps to 411kbps. My ISP provider says if it's around 70% of my rated line speed(purchased 512/256k)this is acceptable.But I do get a 45 to 50kb/s on a fast torrent.According to Ultima, "Divide by 8 for each number, and you get your kilobyte/second speed".And if this is true my download speed will be around 45 to 50kb/s.Any suggestion

Yes just the speed test. A survey done by a local newspaper not while ago in major towns across the country proved that the ISP is not giving the rated purchased speed. Here's the ISP statement,"Communications equipment vendors like to think in terms of low level ATM data rates without regard to the structure or content of the data. ATM is a protocol for transferring data between two points. Internet uses IP as the protocol for communicating, therefore, and in particular, TCP/IP. So your data is going over your DSL line via TCP/IP over ATM.TCP has an overhead in transmission that can be about 5-10%, but ATM overhead is more like 15%. So you can expect to lose up to 25% of your purchased speed at least when counting application data transfer rate. Making up a rule of thumb here: Given a broadband line speed, dividing by 8 and taking off 25% is a reasonable estimate of the maximum likely data download speeds (in bytes of data) you will manage to get.

That's more or less right. Losing bandwidth to overhead is just a fact of life. Dividing by eight is just converting units of measure, bits to bytes, no loss of anything there. If you want to save some math in the future, divide by ten and you have bits->bytes with overhead already factored in for most applications.

Archived