Shared DSL, No access to Router, NAT error... any workarounds??

billy

In our building, the Internet access is provided by a local guy who has taken a DSL connection and distributes it to few residents thru a network.

Now, I use other P2P like Kazaa or Limewire and I get about 30-35 KBps almost all the time but with torrents I get only 1-5 KBps. the utorrent client shows a "NAT Error" where as BitTornado gives a "Green" light but slow speeds.

Now, I know that this guys is using a router but I dont have access to it and upon asking to forward few ports for me, his reply was a Big "NO" for some "security reasons". Now pls tell me if there is a workaround for this problem..?? I am really stuck now..

is there a way I can get better speeds??? pls help.

Bill.

I have tried everything else stated in the posts here and other user forums... but the speeds r not improving.

one more question... I see that the uploading speeds goes as high as in the range of 10~15 KBPS whereas my downloads remains 1~5 KBps.. if I am able to upload then why I am not getting the "credits" for these uploads? The share ratio is always positive in excess to 1.000.. pls explain the phenomenon.

How many others on that same DSL connection are uploading and downloading as well?

And roughly how fast versis the total speed of the connection?

Is there any per-person speed limiters put on to prevent one person from hogging the entire DSL line?

If so, you may be using up all your upload bandwidth so your download side cannot even reach a fraction of its full speed because it cannot send out the "send more!" ACK packets fast enough.

that may not be the case as I can get speeds about 30+KBps using LimeWire or other HTTP Downloads. I beleive that maybe my speed limit but with torrents only (no Lime or other web traffic), the speed is barely 2-3KBps...

It takes more than a month on a torrent network to download a big file which normally takes less than a day on lime. NAT error as it seems to me be the culprit and I need some kinda help to resolve it.

I have this question regarding the torrent tech is if I am able to upload/seed the files why my ACKs or Credits are not coming thru.. if anyone can explain.

If there is somedoby who can suggest me on how to see what kinda router is installed and how I can gain access to it.. default passwords or some cracks maybe... any help will be appreciated.

TIA.

Bill.

If you pay your part for that shared connection, the way to gain access to that router or map a few ports would be demanding it from the same local guy who operates it. And about the big "NO" for some "security reasons", tell him that it's YOUR security. After all it's your machine, not his. And if he cares about the 'security' of the LAN, tell him that if he is serious about security, then the LAN should be considered as insecure as the internet is, since he cant trust anyone else on it.

If i had such an admin for my own home connection, i would simply cut that LAN and stop paying him, then simply get my own connection.

About some simple thing to try in case your guy is just plain stupid...

Try connecting to that router (usually on http://192.168.2.1) and using default password (after you connect it either tells it what the default is or you can easily find it on the net). Or try using upnp, just in case he forgot to disable it.

Archived