Router Problem- F5D8230-4

rcnitrous7

i bought this router for speed and it says that it had a theoretical maximum of 100mb speed and the comp the modem is on is 10mb but this comp only does 1.5mb! the other comp doesnt need all that speed! how do i configure this to send most speed to my comp?

also: ive did everything under the sun and i still cant break 100kb/s, even for a second! please help

btw im sure the first problem is the solution to the 2nd!

Optimum online does cap excessive uploaders. If you can't get your upload above 15kB or so it probably means you've been capped, as optonline's general service is 15mb/2mb. And I'm positive they do cap because it happened to me once. I had to call them up and listen to them bitch at me before they would uncap me.

As a side note, after I got myself uncapped I've been able to download at over 600kB. Use the torrent below to test yourself - people can usually max out their speeds on it. Credit to Animorc's profile for the link.

http://borft.student.utwente.nl:6969/file?info_hash=%23O%7F%0D%1B%DCAn%AF%04%19%DE%C6%F2N%A5v%A1%9FL

if your upload is only 15kB or so. and you've forwarded your ports and stuff correctly, but I assume that falls under "everything under the sun" :P For reference, I have optonline's general service, and my upload currently reaches 136kB/s without breaking a sweat.

I just remembered something else. I think optonline filters bittorrent traffic secretly as well. Turn on peer.lazy_bitfield in the Advanced Options, and also turn Protocol Encryption to enabled under Network Options. I've had to do that to maintain high speeds.

@rcnitrous7: You seem to be getting bits and bytes confused. One byte = 8 bits, and when ISPs advertise speeds to you, they're saying it in bits. 56KB/s = 448Kb/s. Encryption should be left at enabled, no need to force it.

What I mean by ISP cap is the speed they advertise to you -- your connection is capped to that speed (you won't be getting your full 100Mb). And FYI, 1.5MB/s is good considering that's faster than the 10Mb they're adversising to you (10Mb/s / 8b/B = 1.25MB/s). 50KB/s is NOT good for a 10Mb/s line =T

No, speed tests are in kilobits. I'm using my connection, and the test says I have 189 up. If I had 189 up, I'd be hopping happy. To clear it up... are you using the speed test linked to in the Speed Guide? The one at DSLReports?

Hope the Optimum Online thing goes well =]

try this - it's a speedtest designed by optonline. see what your bars compare to the the benchmarks they give. if you do come close to the benchmarks they give, it's a problem on your end, not optonline's. you have to use the username given to you by optonline to access this site - it's your email account.

http://speedcheck.optonline.net

Archived