022jk.th.jpg

Lastly, either one of these options here will work, i prefer to keep DEP on:

Turn on DEP for esential Windows programs and services only

Turn on DEP for all programs and services except the ones i select

039kh.th.jpg

*Edit* I didn't know it was going to shrink it down so much sorry

Please thumbnail big pics.

Understanding Data Execution Prevention

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) helps prevent damage from viruses and other security threats that attack by running (executing) malicious code from memory locations that only Windows and other programs should use. This type of threat causes damage by taking over one or more memory locations in use by a program. Then it spreads and harms other programs, files, and even your e-mail contacts.

Unlike a firewall or antivirus program, DEP does not help prevent harmful programs from being installed on your computer. Instead, it monitors your programs to determine if they use system memory safely. To do this, DEP software works alone or with compatible microprocessors to mark some memory locations as "non-executable." If a program tries to run codemalicious or notfrom a protected location, DEP closes the program and notifies you.

DEP can take advantage of software and hardware support. To use DEP, your computer must be running Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2), Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 (SP1), or an x64-based version of a Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP operating system. DEP software alone helps protect against certain types of malicious code attacks but to take full advantage of the protection that DEP can offer, your processor must support "execution protection." This is a hardware-based technology designed to mark memory locations as non-executable. If your processor does not support hardware-based DEP, it's a good idea to upgrade to a processor that offers execution protection features.

• 4 months later...

Registered just to say thanks for this post. And just to add som keywords to others with this problem:

I'm using Windows Small Business Server 2003, and had this exact problem. uTorrent crashed, would use huge amounts of memory (like 0.5Gb), and the processor activity would stay at 50% (without reporting which program or service was using the processor). So if anyone else with SBS 2003 or Windows Server 2003 are having the same problem, try this!

Thanks again.

Archived