Speed issues on big torrents

kman

I recently upgraded my computer, and when i tried downloading a big torrent (14 gig) it started out fast (around 300kB/s) and then slowed down to around 10kB/s after half a minute.

The torrent also has over 2000 seeds and over 10000 peers.

I have tested my ISP to see if the throttle and it showed up negative, and i've also tried downloading at different times.

I've tried the various settings and when i changed the net.max halfopen to 4 it went up quite a bit in speed but then came back down to 10kBs.

I'm using windows 7 and am using utorrent version 2.0.

When i ran the bandwidth test it failed and said 'a local networking problem closed the connection (10053)'

I have port forwarded and the green arrow appears.

I am directly connected to the router (Siemens gigaset SX763).

But i have downloaded other things using utorrent, such as music and that went fast so i dont really know whats going on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I tried all your commom procedures in your first link with no major change (apart from the one I said in my first post) to my speed. My upload is 128kb (thats what the ISP says on its website) and when i use the recommended settings in your second link it crawls to about 1kBs, so at the moment im running 640kb upload setting, which is slightly higher. But then again it is very variable from around 1kBs to 30kBs but never really getting much higher than that.

I can't run the utorrent setup guide as it cancels out with the message 'a local networking problem closed the connection (10053)'

The only firewall I use is the one that comes with windows 7

At the moment my net.max_halfopen is set to 4

My computer is a AMD phenom II x4 965 3.4ghz with 4gb of ram.

Are you confusing the ISP's reported upload speed of 128 KiloBYTES/second for kilobits/second or vice-versa?

If it's really only 128 kbits/sec, you *CAN'T* upload at 30 KiloBYTES/second even briefly in uTorrent.

Theoretical max without overheads would only be 16 KiloBYTES/second.

It says on the website 128kbps (i live in new zealand, so speeds probably won't be as fast as in other countries)

I ran a speed test on a website and the results showed my download speed as 2139 kbps download and 83 kbps upload

Archived