2.0.0.18296 - Prevent "Open File - Security Warning" at Startup?

radium

I upgraded to 2.0.0.18296 today and something got fragged during installation. Now whenever utorrent is started, an ""Open File - Security Warning" dialog is displayed. Unchecking "Always ask before opening this file" has no effect; it always is checked the next time I run uTorrent. As far as I can tell, uTorrent runs normally after I click on the Run button.

How can I prevent the box from appearing every time I run uTorrent? My OS is XP Home SP3 and it would be preferable to not disable this security check altogether, just for uTorrent.

Note: With some more testing I found uTorrent will start without the dialog if an associated .Torrent file is clicked on. The dialog box only appears if the .exe or a shortcut is clicked on. Unfortunately, I use VPNetMon 2011 to start uTorrent and its crashing due to the dialog box. If I could uninstall uTorrent and then re-install it, that would probably fix the problem, but I don't know how to do that in the case of uTorrent.

Firon, as always, thanks for the help.

I didn't think to check the Block/Unblock status. Sure enough, uTorrent was blocked. The first attempt to unblock failed. Turns out, the .exe was "Read-only" as well. (That's probably why "Always ask before opening this file" couldn't be unselected.) Un-selecting read-only and unblocking did the trick.

For some reason the auto-update failed for me this morning and I downloaded the latest uTorrent update and installed it manually. Somewhere along the way I must have mucked it up...

Archived