Why do these things happen?

debianne3

1. When I initially added the torrent, there's a checkbox that says "open for seeding", just under the file save as dialog. After reading postingings about leechers, I thought I'd "give back to the community", so I checked the open for seeding. Immediately after I start the torrent, I get the "files missing from batch" error I previously asked about. If I delete the torrent and re-add it, but do not check the "open for seeding", the download proceeds.

2. Two of the blocks were listed in the logger with a hash total failure. Is any of the file useable? Do I need to re-do the whole thing again? How do I download without a hash total failure?

3. The files I downloaded were video clips. The extention of the file was listed as type .avi. I double clicked on it and WHOA! It was shakier than the Blair Witch Project! I got dizzy trying to watch the constant jiggle movement. Do I need to encode/decode this file before I watch it? Is the jiggle because of the hash total failure?

I am sorry for all the newbie quesitons. I hope to get some useable files soon, then I'l go away. :)

Debbie

1) Yeah... that's the source of your previous problem. Seeding automatically occurs when you finish downloading anyway. That's only there for people who have the files already and just want to add the torrent in and start seeding the files (that they already have completed).

2) If there's a hashfail, µTorrent automatically redownloads the failed piece, no need to worry.

3) This forum shouldn't be used for queries on downloaded content, but I'll just say that it's probably the file you downloaded, not µTorrent.

1. open for seeding is for when you've already downloaded the torrent, and you're opening it now to seed. if you check it µTorrent doesn't recheck every file you've downloaded, but immediately starts seeding.

2. hash fails are data blocks that were corrupted during transfer. they're automatically discarded and downloaded again

3. can't help you there. avi's a pretty common format, so you probably have the codec for it. load up the torrent again for seeding and point it to the file you already have. stop the torrent, right click, and click force recheck. it'll recheck the torrent for errors. if it doesn't do anything and goes back to normal the problem is with your file, not µTorrent. ask people on the site you got the file from for help.

Archived