router speed decreases

jenga

Hey everyone. Up until a couple days ago utorrent was working perfectly for me. For some odd reason though, my router suddenly has a massive decrease in overall speed when utorrent is turned on. I have a WRT54g router and the speed is always shown to be 54.0 Mbps when utorrent is not running. When utorrent is turned on, the speed suddenly drops to 11 or 18 Mbps. My signal also seems to fluctuate from poor to very good, while the signal strength is very good when utorrent is off. When everything was working correctly, the internet was only slow when trying to browse while downloading. Which was normal. Now, the entire internet is slow even when there are torrents in the process of downloading, but the transfer rate is only around 10-100 kbps when it used to be around approxamatly 1020 kbps when working properly. I've tried to google the problem, but I can't seem to find anybody else who's having the same problem. I'm leaning more toward a router problem, but I can't really justify the thought because it's only happening when utorrent is running. Does anybody have any ideas? Hopefully I've described it well enough. In a nut shell, everything works great until utorrent is turned on and then the internet slows to a halt and my router begins to act up. I haven't changed anything, unless a recent update has changed something without my knowledge. Also, if it helps, I'm using the firewall built within the router and the router is password protected. Windows firewall is turned off.

Did you upgrade to 2.0.1?

Have you tried rebooting the router?

Have you increased the amount of connections?

On my Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 the connection seldomly starts to fluctuate from the normal 50-70% strenght to 0-40%, but rebooting the router or restarting computer's wifi software (got integrated receiver on mobo) helps.

E: also noticed the sticky

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=3456

I have been happy uTorrent user for years (Thanks for the great work team). However I recently upgraded to 2.0.1 (build 19428) [Running on XPSP2 - with P4-3.2GHz, 2GB RAM - and very few other processes] and am experiencing similar problems to those listed above. I had assumed thus far that it was because my router is older (DG834 running firmware V3.01.25, aDSL2+ connection), and that the new build perhaps worked it too hard. However I have been unable to get things to function properly even if I restrict the number of connections/bandwidth, etc to very conservative numbers. I have read and taken in most of the guides regarding performance optimisation, and am aware that the router I am using is one that does have issues if there are a larger number of connections. However prior to the upgrade, I was able to use the network successfully from any of several machines, even when DL at 300KB/sec, now I struggle to use the network for anything much, even if UL only at 50KB/sec. Any ideas would be appreciated, as I would not like to attempt a rollback and have to migrate 200+ torrents to the older build. Thanks in advance, Cheers. M

Archived