Port Scanning

Grendel

I am trying to setup a friend with uTorrent. He lives in dorms at UNC Chapel Hill, and they appear to have blocked Bit Torrent somehow. If I were to run a port scan from PC Pitstop and use one of the ports it shows for uTorrent, would it work? I cannot change any kind of port forward settings on anything, but I should be able to use one thats already open right?

Ok scratch that. I cannot get the information I want. I am now trying to set it up to work via proxy. I do not know what my proxy settings are however, everywhere I can find says check in IE. There are no settings in IE, all the fields are blank. Is there another way to determine my proxy settings?

I use the term 'hacking' loosely. I figure there has to be a way to use the present allowances to operate uTorrent. Like, the intarweb can get through...I tried using port 80 but it was of no use. I just don't know enough about their network.

At school, perhaps 125kB/s. Most of the files I download at school are pretty small, so I dont have a real good idea of the speeds. I ran the test at dslreports.com and got 982d/1024u on average so I expect it to be pretty fast.

Archived