Invalid Key (info_hash)

Majik

utorrentinvalidinfohash4tf.th.jpg

I run a private tracker and my users have reported a problem with µTorrent and one specific torrent. I've also noticed the problem with the version of µTorrent I'm running, which is the latest BETA. I've had no reports of errors with clients other than µTorrent and just with this individual torrent. As can be seen in the screenshot, µTorrent appears to be sending garbage for the info hash of this torrent when it's announcing.

The infohash is always sent in that fashion, it's not sent in plaintext.

The error is for an invalid key however, not invalid infohash.

I realize that. The problem though is with that specifically and only with µTorrent and that particular torrent. It works fine in other clients and there have never been any problems with any other torrent. What I was meaning by garbage is something other than a correct format for that key, for that torrent only.

Should the info_hash not be 20, the same as with peer_id? I have the announce script check the length of both peer_id and info_hash, if either of them aren't 20 then that error is returned with the value supplied. That's the only torrent for which µTorrent's not, while other clients are.

This is the first time that error has actually been returned to anyone by the tracker for any torrent.

There are 20 characters, the first character is a null (0x00). I think your script may not detect the null properly? Either that, or µT isn't sending the null...

I missed that when I was counting the characters in the error message. It might be. I'll create a new function to count the null when it checks the length. I wonder why the error's only being returned for the µTorrent client though.

hey,you quoted my post before I edited it! :P

Guess yer just gettin' slow.. or I'm gettin' fast :P

I made a new function to check for any chr(160) characters (as returned by ord) and it's working now. I'm wondering why it was only µTorrent that was getting the invalid key error though.. You'd think other clients would have as well. :/ That was the first time anybody had actually received that error.

On another note: I've yet to get another BSoD since reverting back to build 1067 of cFosSpeed from 1075. :D I was going to go back to an earlier because of the errors, but since you're having no problems with 1067 I tried that version first. Thanks again. :)

Archived