Creating private torrent for forum memebers only

HDS7

Hey everyone. I appreciate you taking the time to read this. Maybe this has been discussed before, and if it has i apologize, but my torrent creating vocabulary isnt that great so i havent found exactly what i need.

I want to create a private torrent only available for users registered to my forum. It is a free forum on forumer, so im limited to my access even as an admin, however registrations are needed to read most topics. Is it possible to do something of the sort, if if so, how do i go about doing it?

If you need any more information or if i didnt explain quite clearly, please let me know, ill do my best.

thanks again.

Depends on which privacy you want.

Private trackers use a passkey system to distribute their private torrents.

In your case, you can add the private flag with a public tracker announce and publish only the private .torrent files to your community, but the privacy will be less strong.

the passkey youve mentioned is not a password right? its determined by the ip?

if i do what you said, what kind of less strong privacy will that give me? what if someone downloads the torrent from my forum, then adds it to something popular such as mininova, will it then become "unprivate"?

ive read some stuff about announcing the torrent with my own ip and uttorent ports. what kind of privacy does this give me? how does it limit who may and may not download it?

When a new member opens an account on the private tracker, a personal passkey is created and assigned to the new account.

So when he downloads a torrent, the passkey is including in the tracker announce like http://tracker.mywebsite.com:80/201699bc1bff68d1bb2da7/announce. The admin team can check the UL/DL ratio reported to the tracker and the account is not shared.

In your case, without a passkey, one of your members can publish the private .torrent and external peers could join the swarm.

Archived