Download meter shows higher dl's than uTorrent in Windows 7

drew395

uTorrent was working perfect for me in Windows XP with speeds ~1.9MB/s, but today I just installed Windows 7 Pro 32-bit (and re-installed uTorrent 2.0.3). I changed compatibility to Windows Vista and am running as administrator. I also have a DU meter to monitor all incoming and outgoing traffic.

uTorrent shows download speeds of say 137kB/s while my DU Meter shows 580kB/s (or 230kB/s and 710kB/s as another example). No other applications are running that would be downloading on top of uTorrent and when I close uTorrent, the DU Meter shows 0kB/s (as expected).

DU Meter is accurate when downloading files through a web browser or other program, so it must be uTorrent. It also did the same with another bittorrent client.

Any ideas on how to remedy this? I love uTorrent and want to remain using it. Thx.

Resolved. DU Meter was malfunctioning and providing kilobits as the downloaded number but showed kilobytes as the units. A different traffic counter confirmed this issue. Thanks for your reply. I can now resume my love affair with uTorrent and not worry.

Do note that uTorrent can generate MAD levels of overheads with bad settings and buggy versions.

uTP on some instances could do 30-35% overheads.

So downloading at 100 KB/sec would also cause 30-35 KB/sec upload to get used as overheads!

Better settings can force that down to about 5%...still a little worse than 1 TCP connection from a website, but "good enough".

Archived