Unable to download on laptop

phubley2002

I was wondering if someone could help me with my problem. I downloaded UTorrent 2.0.3 yesterday at work. No problems and I was able to download music fine. Even made a download folder and instructed items to be stored/saved in there. Again, no problem. This was an experiment before I attempted same on laptop, which I tried today. FYI have Vista on laptop and Windows XP Professional at work (if this matters). Downloaded program just fine, checked settings so they would be exactly the same as work computer including where to store/save downloaded items. The only difference I could find that might be causing the problem was the "Publisher"...BitTorrent Inc on laptop, Unknown on computer at work. This is the message I receive when trying to download on laptop: "unable to save.torrent to "C:\Program Files\Utorrent\Christina Aguilera - Back To Basics.torrent". Not sure what the issue is. So, I began to read some of the other Forum topics and it gave me a few ideas. Such as, shutting off my Kasperksy Firewall protection as well as changing the settings on the Directories in Preferences back to default. I thought this had worked because a song started to download. However, Error messages started to appear such as "Error: Access is denied" OR Error opening "C:\Program Files\uTorrent\Jason Derulo - In My Head.mp3": OR "Unable to copy .torrent from ....... etc.

I am a novice at this at best, but am determined to figure out what the issue is and fix it. I guess when it functioned on my computer at work I thought it would be cake to get it on my laptop and up and running properly, but no dice. Can someone help me who has lots of patience and a little bit of kindness.

Thanks.

Thank you for responding. The answer to your question is no, I did not uninstall Kaspersky, I just shut it off while I was trying to download and it didn't help. I see that you gave me several different options to try and fix the problem and I will attempt to get to them tonight or during the week at nite. It is virtually impossible to give it any attention during the day as I am at work. I will let you know if any of your suggestions fix my problem.

Thanks again Switeck and have a great day. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that I have fixed the issue I had. It was a simple answer, as they usually are. What I had done wrong was I had created a "download" folder within my Utorrent folder and then went to Preferences, Directories and chose "the location of dowloaded files" to that folder by clicking the box for "put new downloads in". Essentially, by reverting to the default settings within Utorrent (unchecking any boxes etc.), I was able to download successfully and then upload into my music player.

Thank you for your help and I will continue to read the suggestions on how to seed, as I am sure I am not doing it properly and I agree with all the other posts I have read on seeding, it is only fair to share. Once I have figured that out, it is only onward and upward from there. Again, I appreciate your response as it was the only one. :D

Archived