uTorrent 2.2 'Griffin' Beta, uTorrent 3.0 alpha?

RXRacer

I'm no newbie. I was sharing files on bulletin boards with my 14.k modem before the internet as we know it existed. What I'm saying is that not much about computers confuses me.

One of the exceptions though, is why 2 new uTorrent clients are under development. IE. 2.2 'Griffin' Beta, and 3.0 alpha. Obviously I get the alpha and beta part, but why are there 2 apparently different utorrent clients being alpha and beta tested?

I like trying out beta and alpha versions of software, but every time I go to the announcements sectiom to check what's new I find myself confused about the whole 2.2 and 3.0 bit. Is one of them the build that will end up becoming the official stable release, or are BitTorrent Inc. deliberately developing 2 different clients with unique features that cater to different users needs? Logically, one would assume that the 3.0 alpha client is the the newest testing version, but it's obvious that 2.2 is also being actively developed.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has looked and wondered, 'Do I download 2.2 'Griffin' beta, or 3.0 alpha.

Could I suggest a sticky be written and put up in the announcements section explaining (just a brief overview, nothing fancy) just what is the desire/need for the development of these 2 new clients. And preferably the differences, the pros and cons of each, and so on. I've tried both briefly, and noticed at least aesthetic differences (3.0's colour coded progress bar for example. Very nice addition btw). Still though, the confusion returns.

Archived