I'm guessing uTorrent is responsible for slower speeds on uTorrent

swakkenhammer

I'm guessing not many people will have a chance to read this as uTorrent doesn't like to hear anything negative about themselves and this post will end up in the Trash very quickly. This is where free speech goes to die. Oh well, here goes. For a couple months now I've been trying to figure out why my download speed has gone from 400kB/s to around 280kB/s, and having been at 400 I know it should be possible. I've tried everything that I can find on this and other forums, followed the instructions of the one Moderater that seems to care, looked for the answer on the internet, asked other people who use uTorrent and absolutely nothing has worked.

This got me thinking back to when I first noticed the reduced speed. The only thing I can come up with is it changed when an update version of uTorrent came out where uTorrent sets your upload and download speed. Now that I can no longer make these settings for myself, I can no longer get to 400 kB/s. I'm not trying to accuse uTorrent of anything, just that it is the only thing left when all other attempts have failed.

My computer hasn't changed, my ISP service hasn't changed, I've checked it with Glasnost test, my speed checks are the same as before, the Moderator suggested it was because I use Norton Internet Security which is the same thing I was using when I got 400. Well, that's my opinion and I felt someone had to say it.

The only thing I can come up with is it changed when an update version of uTorrent came out where uTorrent sets your upload and download speed. Now that I can no longer make these settings for myself, I can no longer get to 400 kB/s.

Of course you can modify these settings yourself.

I have never used the bandwidth/queueing configuration menu offered by µT, but only followed the guide written by Switeck (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=58404) because these settings are more conservative for my router.

@moogly

Thank You for your reply but here"s a short story about that. I uncheck Bandwidth and Network on the setup guide, click save and close, then come back to it later and the checkmarks are back and the settings have been changed. Obviously I am not very knowledgable in the settings of a BitTorrent client. Switeck was the person who tried to help me before and when I click on the link you have supplied in your reply, it all looks like a different language to me. I might as well just forget it. At least I can still download and I guess that's all that matters.

Thanks

Ok, but if you didn't try to set the bandwidth and queueing settings correctly according the max upload rate of your internet connection, don't be surprised µT is slow and doesn't download at its max rate.

So use the configuration guide inside µT.

I have used speed tests and set bandwidth just under my max upload and have tried to use configuration guide inside uT. Still, when I check setup guide again, everything has been changed.

Ok' date=' but if you didn't try to set the bandwidth and queueing settings correctly according the max upload rate of your internet connection, don't be surprised µT is slow and doesn't download at its max rate.

So use the configuration guide inside µT.[/quote']

I have used speed tests and set bandwidth just under my max upload and have tried to use configuration guide inside uT. Still, when I check setup guide again, everything has been changed.

I even unchecked ' enable bandwidth management [uTP] ' under the BitTorrent section.

Still, when I check setup guide again, everything has been changed.

If that has changed, the fault is not µT, but the file settings.dat stored in the folder %appdata%\utorrent.

This .dat file stores all your settings. If this file cannot be written (by µT), µT cannot save the current settings and reset to the default settings at the time of the next launch.

So try to run µT as admin one time (right click on the desktop icon or on utorrent.exe).

If that fails, remove settings.dat and create a new one with user rights.

So try to run µT as admin one time (right click on the desktop icon or on utorrent.exe).

If that fails' date=' remove settings.dat and create a new one with user rights.[/quote']

OK. I'll give it a try. Thanks for your help moogly.

OK. So I tried running uT as administrator. I unchecked ' enable bandwidth management [uTP] ' under the BitTorrent section. I selected my bandwidth after running speed checks and set it to just under my max upload speed. Created my settings under the queueing section. Checked the setup guide, everything had been changed back. This would leave me with what moogly said was my next choice, remove settings.dat and create a new one. Problem is, and I have checked this forum, FAQ's and Search, and Googled it, and I don't know how to do this. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Please keep in mind that I would have to be classified a "Beginner" so if you could keep it simple for me it would be even more appreciated.

Thanks

When the folder %appdata%\utorrent (Windows+R > %appdata%\utorrent) is empty, µT creates new 'blank' files .DAT (resume, settings, dht, rss etc).

So close µT, erase settings.dat (make a backup copy into a safe place before) then restart µT.

µT can fail to write in these DAT files if they have been created with admin rights and you use µT with a limited user session.

When the folder %appdata%\utorrent (Windows+R > %appdata%\utorrent) is empty, µT creates new 'blank' files .DAT (resume, settings, dht, rss etc).

So close µT, erase settings.dat (make a backup copy into a safe place before) then restart µT.

µT can fail to write in these DAT files if they have been created with admin rights and you use µT with a limited user session.

Thanks moogly. Should I delete settings.dat.old as well?

And does it fix your issue or not? Are you own settings saved when you restart µT?

No. But I tried an old version of uT 1.8.5 and was able to make all my old settings like before and my download spead was again just around 280 kB/s so there has to be another reason. Well, at least I can still download.

Thanks again for all your help. At least now I understand a little more about BitTorrent client's.

And does it fix your issue or not? Are you own settings saved when you restart µT?

No. But I tried an old version of uT 1.8.5 and was able to make all my old settings like before and my download spead was again just around 280 kB/s so there has to be another reason. Well' date=' at least I can still download.

Thanks again for all your help. At least now I understand a little more about BitTorrent client's.[/quote']

Just to elaborate a bit, when I erased the settings file and settings.old file (saved a copy of settings file like you said), I then made my adjustments in admin mode and saved. I then closed uT and reopened it, checked the setup guide and all my settings were gone and reset. I looked at %appdata%\uTorrent and the settings and settings.old files had been replaced. Unfortunately not with my settings.

And are you sure this happens only with settings.dat?

Because the resume.dat stored in %appdata%\uTorrent saves your torrent history. If µT fails to save your settings (settings.dat), it should fail to save your history (resume.dat) too!

There was a resume and a resume.old and some, but not all, of my recent downloads were in the file.

Ok make this test please.

Set the bandwidth & queueing in µT with your own values. Click on Apply' then 'OK'.

Make a capture (ctrl+V into MS Paint) and upload it to http://imageshack.us/

Close µT then restart it.

Go to bandwidth & queueing panel, then make a 2nd capture and upload it.

OK. I've uploaded the 2 images that you want plus a third one that was downloading at the time. This is amazing. I've tried this same thing and have gotten different results but now it's saving my settings. The only change is I set my bandwidth originally at 640 kb/s and uT changed it to 573 kb/s which is actually just rounded down from my speed tests which were around 710 kb/s. I really appreciate all the time you've spent helping me with this moogly. I hope someday I can pass along all the things you've taught me.

Thanks, David

Archived