No doubt a stupid question on "Playback"

whatever

I feel like an idiot asking, but ... what is the "Enable Playback" setting for? When I have the Play column shown, it's always blank throughout. As far as playing downloaded video files, I've always been able to run videos from the Files tab. I can't see what the Playback feature adds or changes.

I have read the help file, which simply says "Playback allows you to seamlessly play your audio/video files with your default player based on file extension or specify a specific player to use for all files." Like I said, maybe I'm just being thick, but I can't see a way to actually use this feature.

Ah, I guess I see now. I had to uncheck the "Use default player" option. Then--and only then--a "play" button appeared in the Play column. I guess if "Use default player" is enabled, the playback feature is useless. If so, I fail to see why there is a "Use default player" option under "Enable playback" in the first place.

And that feature can in theory reduce download speeds, if not for you then for others on the same torrent. :(

It tries to complete the torrent in semi-sequential chunks so it can play back beginning-to-end AS it downloads. This can make end-of-torrent rare pieces more rare, because your client (and others doing the same thing) will be making demands from seeds for non-rare pieces closer to the beginning of the torrent.

Archived