More stable algorithm for remaining time estimation

stvit

Is there an option to include more stable algorithm for remaining download time estimation to the client? Which will take in account total progress of the task over download time and not only the current speed, or mb average speed of the task over last hour or 2...

the feature as it implemented now do not give any approximation to the real time remains until end of the download.

It is.. speed in current 30 seconds do not give a good approximation of download speed at all.

Remaining time now calculated by dividing the remaining data volume by this speed. But if the speed that goes to the formula is calculated from data volume downloaded in last hour divided by the time (one hour in this case), it will give more stable and good remaining time approximation.

Downloading in BitTorrent should never be assumed to be so stable as to complete the download at a certain speed 100% of the time, or even close. Fast peers disconnect, slow peers send, etc... and all this can happen relatively quickly.

I do agree as previously posted that updating a little slower may be okay, but as it is now, it gives a rough guide of how long it will take if it continues at its speed from that exact point.

Does it really matter how accurate the time remaining column is? I have never had any trouble with the numbers utorrent reports anyways. The only torrents that have trouble are torrents with large file sizes and few seeds (constant start and stop waiting for seeds to catch up new peers). Even in this situation, i can just look at the total downloaded and guestimate how long it will actually take.

Archived