utserver start at boot don't work

Hi, sorry for my poor english. First of all I'm not used to linux and is the first time for me with ubuntu. I know that u torrent is a beta release so is better to be tasted by advanced user but i have used utorrent for years in windows, and i' need a bittorent client that can disable scrape.

I made a server with ubuntu desktop 10.4 32bit. I download utorrent, place in desktop, unzip it, double click on utserver ( sorry for not using terminal if i can ). From other computer i connect to http://local:8080/gui and thats it.All works. For start at boot the service i use the system/preference/startup application menu of ubuntu and start utserver service. When i restart and try to connect from other computer browser say " the utorrent webui does not seem to be installed. click here to try to install it,or see the guide for more details". If i vnc to the server, kill the process ( that is running ), double clik on utserver, all goes well again.

I installed a previous version of utorrent some months ago in a 32 and 64 bit machine amd teh startup application worked fine. How can i fix this? tanks

Hi, sorry for my poor english. First of all I'm not used to linux and is the first time for me with ubuntu. I know that u torrent is a beta release so is better to be tasted by advanced user but i have used utorrent for years in windows, and i' need a bittorent client that can disable scrape.

I made a server with ubuntu desktop 10.4 32bit. I download utorrent, place in desktop, unzip it, double click on utserver ( sorry for not using terminal if i can ). From other computer i connect to http://local:8080/gui and thats it.All works. For start at boot the service i use the system/preference/startup application menu of ubuntu and start utserver service. When i restart and try to connect from other computer browser say " the utorrent webui does not seem to be installed. click here to try to install it,or see the guide for more details". If i vnc to the server, kill the process ( that is running ), double clik on utserver, all goes well again.

I installed a previous version of utorrent some months ago in a 32 and 64 bit machine amd teh startup application worked fine. How can i fix this? tanks

My first instinct would be that you aren't running the utserver as a daemon and so once it is initialized by the start-up, it isn't being watched and crashes. That being said, I would recommend using Ubuntu 11.04 simply because it is the most updated and may be handing some things differently.

Also: use the terminal.

My first instinct would be that you aren't running the utserver as a daemon and so once it is initialized by the start-up, it isn't being watched and crashes. That being said, I would recommend using Ubuntu 11.04 simply because it is the most updated and may be handing some things differently.

I'm using ubuntu 10.4 becouse had a lot of problems with 11.04. In the ubuntu forum they said to use lucid 10.4 LTS becouse is more stable.

In the other server that i have made utorrent is still running and is fine with the startup procedure.

If you can tell me how to start at boot the vnc via terminal I can try with this command

I'm using ubuntu 10.4 becouse had a lot of problems with 11.04. In the ubuntu forum they said to use lucid 10.4 LTS becouse is more stable.

In the other server that i have made utorrent is still running and is fine with the startup procedure.

If you can tell me how to start at boot the vnc via terminal I can try with this command

Make a startup script!

...........I would recommend using Ubuntu 11.04 simply because it is the most updated and may be handing some things differently.

Absolutely bullshit!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with running at startup and fixed it with a script. I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 x64 (with Unity disabled), and everything works like a champ.

I think the problem with running at startup is that the system doesn't give any local path information (it launches as a system call from somewhere like /usr/bin (not sure exactly where)) and utserver has no way of knowing where the rest of its parts are located.

My machine has a single user set to log on automatically, so it's easiest for me to run utserver from inside my home directory (/home/<me>/Apps/utorrent-server). In order to make it launch correctly, I created the following (really simple) script to launch it at startup.

#!/bin/bash
cd ~/<me>/Apps/utorrent-server
./utserver

You can copy/paste this into a text editor and change the directory line to match your installed location. Don't forget to make your script executable before running it.

Archived