Trouble with relative paths in utserver.conf file

OldPike

I'm having no issues running utserver on Linux 10.10... as long as I use full paths in the utserver.conf file. My trouble appears when I try to use relative paths. Here's what I have tried:

Here's my command line: ./utserver -settingspath settings/ -configfile ./utserver.conf

installed in:

/apps/utorrent-server-v3_0

utserver.conf file:

dir_root: /apps/utorrent-server-v3_0/

ut_webui_dir: ./webui/ # sub of utorrent-server-v3_0

dir_active: ./active/ # sub of utorrent-server-v3_0

dir_completed: ~/downloads/

dir_autoload: ~/Desktop/torrents/

I've also tried a couple of different formats, like "webui", "webui/", to no avail. Oh, and I've cleared the settings files each time, just to make sure.

Thanks for any help!

utserver.conf file:

dir_root: /apps/utorrent-server-v3_0/

ut_webui_dir: ./webui/ # sub of utorrent-server-v3_0

dir_active: ./active/ # sub of utorrent-server-v3_0

dir_completed: ~/downloads/

dir_autoload: ~/Desktop/torrents/

I'm not clear on the problem you are seeing. Are none of the above settings being used by uTorrent Server? Where do dir_active, dir_completed, dir_autoload, ut_webui_dir, and dir_root appear to be set if they are not set to where you are specifying?

Have you tried removing the dir_root setting and running the program from /apps/utorrent-server-v3_0 with the command line you specified (except adjusting paths to settingspath and configfile as needed)?

Hi, McDonald. I've tried to run uTorrent "out of the box". It works, but it puts torrent files, downloads and temp files in the default directory. It's a mess. Actually, I've tried it so many different ways, that I can't give you an exact example.:)

The exact problem is that when I use relative paths utserver doesn't seem to recognize them. Do you see anything I'm doing wrong with the relative paths? I can't figure why it works with full paths and not with relative paths. Is there a way to get utserver to output the settings that it is actually using?

i also tried these options some time ago with no success.Variable "$HOME",also not accepted. :/

Thanks, mit - I missed that OldPike had tildes starting some of the paths in his configuration file - I just saw the starting dots in the first paths and thought the others also started with dots.

Don't use tildes or other shell substitution characters or shell environment variable references in the paths in the configuration file; use the actual characters that are in the path and don't expect any substitutions to be made by uTorrent Server to the path values you specify in the config file.

Hmm. Well, it's obviously supposed to work. At least it was intended to work because someone put usage of relative paths in the documentation.

I could help troubleshoot the issue if there were some way to get utserver to output the settings that it's actually using.

• 10 months later...

Archived