uTorrent does not recognize filename's / existing torrents properly

Klaus_1250

I was recently scouring the web for a different, currently difficult-to-download, torrent. I came across the same torrent, though different piece size, on another tracker. When downloading the torrent in uTorrent, uTorrent acted as if the torrent was already there (since the previous, still active, torrent had the same file name), checked the file, and started downloading. Both torrents now used the same source file, though different trackers and piece sizes and they seemed unaware of eachother.

Not sure if the bug is that uTorrent didn't recognize that the file was already "taken", or that the two torrents were unaware of eachother. It should at least issue a warning and give an option to resume / continu the torrent on the other tracker and mark the previous torrent / tracker as temporary disabled. Personally, I would love to see an option for multi-tracker torrent, with different piece sizes. Should be doable, as the complete hash for both files should be the same.

infohash is different, indeed. Torrent has exactly the same contents though. But, different infohashes, same filename, shouldn't uTorrent give out a warning? Now, i can use the same file for different torrents, but both torrent don't know about each other and doing rechecks every view minutes for both file is too much bother.

Also, if someone has added additional hashes, say SHA, MD5, CRC32, tigertree or whatever, wouldn't that be the same for both? (again, different piece size, different infohash, same contents and I presume those other hashes are based on the files contained within the torrent).

A lot of times, same filenames mean nothing, and the files themselves might still be different. µTorrent can't verify that each file is identical until each one is present, meaning that in the end, you have to download it, so a warning doesn't help much.

@Ultima: No, but if both would be different, I'd be downloading two different torrents to one sourcefile. That can't be right.

@Firon: uTorrent can't assume that, but a force button in such cases would be handy :-) Also, if both files would contain a sha1, md5, tigertree, ed2k or whatever hash, uTorrent would be able to tell if both files are the same.

Archived