How to activate magnet torrents

newkid

I am running ut0rrent 3.1.2 and trying to download magnet torrent because regular torrents are not available anymore. DHT is enabled. My "associate with torrent files" is grayed out" in the preferences Area. Is there any other way to run utorrent in windows 7. I even turned off my firewall and it didn't work? Can not find my answere for a second day of seaching.:(

I am running ut0rrent 3.1.2 and trying to download magnet torrent because regular torrents are not available anymore. DHT is enabled. My "associate with torrent files" is grayed out" in the preferences Area. Is there any other way to run utorrent in windows 7. I even turned off my firewall and it didn't work? Can not find my answere for a second day of seaching.:(

What browser are you using?

I use Chrome and it pops-up with "launch application" when I click on a magnet link and then it opens uTorrent.

I am using Chrome also. There is no pop up "launch application".

Found this, give it a go:

The solution in Windows 7 is to edit the registry entry for magnet links. Open regedit and change the value of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\magnet\shell\open\command\ to match the program you want to use to open magnet links, the associated icon is defined in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\magnet\DefaultIcon

Just checked and the value of my key:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe" "%1"

Thanks. Adding that line to the blank value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\magnet\shell\open\

now opens uTorrent when clicking on a magnet link under Chrome.

But can you see individual files in the download window of utorrent after you click on a magnet link? The problem I'm having with utorrent is that the files don't show up in the download window of utorrent after clicking a download link. So if a magnet link is 3 gigabytes large and I only want something that's 1 megabyte I can't click off the rest of the files and just get the one I want because I can't see any of them.

Thanks. Adding that line to the blank value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\magnet\shell\open\

now opens uTorrent when clicking on a magnet link under Chrome.

But can you see individual files in the download window of utorrent after you click on a magnet link? The problem I'm having with utorrent is that the files don't show up in the download window of utorrent after clicking a download link. So if a magnet link is 3 gigabytes large and I only want something that's 1 megabyte I can't click off the rest of the files and just get the one I want because I can't see any of them.

Start it, it will get all the information, then you can stop which files you want.

Start it' date=' it will get all the information, then you can stop which files you want.[/quote']

Yes, you have to go to the Files tab (on the lower window) and when they load stop the unwanted ones (by right clicking and checking "Don't download"). And don't forget to untick "Pre-allocate files" in the Preferences. Because what happens is that the files that you stopped are still taking up space, even if they were downloaded only by 0.01 percent. Or remember to just delete the unwanted ones manually.

Magnets are a pain, but they are necessary for the torrent sites to survive, so we have to welcome them and find workarounds. I suppose we'll get used to them quickly.

I am having the same issues, but I do not understand one word you guys are saying. Registry edit, commands, bytes. Way over my head. Just want to see the files I want to download.

I don't suppose you've ever thought about Google-ing and doing a little research yourself?

• 3 weeks later...

when i hover over the magnet with my cursor it says this at bottom of chrome : magnet:?xt=urn:btih:c20b7aa7c8a1fa90147bbd56a8e8ac2833d616f1&dn=PS2+Bios+Files&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.ccc.de%3A80

so it must be trying to open it with bittorrent but why is it not >.<

When you hover over it, it is showing you what the magnet link contains. I think I'm explaining that right.

That is the beauty of magnet links they don't need to be hosted on a site. They can be on a t-shirt, bathroom wall, blog post, or anywhere. All you need to do is copy it (correctly of course) and paste it into your client. I copied it from your post, pasted it into my client, using Add torrent from URL, downloaded it, and am waiting for peers.

This is what I did that worked for me. i had problems downloading magnet links until I did this. Let me know if this fixes it for anyone.

Go to your start menu and click on control panel and click "network and internet". Now click on "internet options" the second-to-last tab should be "Programs" select that and click on the button that says "Set Program" A window should pop up. the option that you want should be the second one. It should say "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" Click on it and Wait for it to load. when it loads, scroll down until you find a utorrent icon that says "btkey" double-click on it and double-click on the utorrent icon in the new window that pops up. Now close out of everything. You should be set to go. When you click on a magnet link be sure to select the option to enable DTH Found in the "Advanced" option before hitting ok. If the option isn't available, then you need to enable it. You can do this by right-clicking DTH and selecting "Enable DTH" (Located on the very bottom of the utorrent client)

• 2 weeks later...

What browser are you using?

I use Chrome and it pops-up with "launch application" when I click on a magnet link and then it opens uTorrent.

I accidentally checked the box that says "Do not ask me again" and said "Do nothing." Now I can't figure out how to go back on that. I've tried clearing all of my browsing history--ALL of it. Nothing works; can't find anything in the settings about it either. Any idea how to fix this with Google Chrome?

• 1 year later...

I've been searching for help for this for ages, and the above post is the only thing that even mentions it- I too checked the boxes 'Do nothing' and 'dont ask me again'. I didn't read the box properly so I don't really know what I did. All my fault. But there must be a way to undo it? I cannot make a torrent open utorrent now,even though they always have. The box in utorrent preferences 'Associate with torrent files' is greyed out, and in WIndows my Default programs is in utorrent. It is a browser issue but like i said, this is the ONLY mention I've seen of this specific issue. Any thoughts at all? Thank you :)

Well that's two possibles I know of done and dusted, the final one is to clear ALL autoload settings Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Downloads and click the [clear auto opening settings] button but this will clear all preferences for every file type you have setup, so is a last ditch 'repair' job.

Hi there

I think the problem was a virus of sorts (even though a scan was the first thing i tried). Just today this 'Free ride games' thing keeps popping up on the screen. I don't know where it came from and it was a total pain to uninstall (it tried to be tricksy) but since I managed to get rid of it, the whole torrent link thing is working again. Weird?! Thanks loads ciaobaby for all your suggestions and help- really kind of you!

Archived